1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire Ruts

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by big_country, Mar 21, 2006.

1. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Whats the best way to fix tire ruts in a yard? Till just the ruts or the whole area damaged? Thanks Justin
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You could try lifting them with a spade fork if they are a couple of inches deep. Otherwise I would fill with soil and reseed. Tilling is too much work.
  3. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

Its much easier to fix them after a good soaking. much softer.
  4. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

So don't worry about tilling the area, just fill it with some topsoil and seed? I will try to get some pictures, because I'm not sure what kind of grass it is.
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Smash the edges down (tecnical term used) and fill and tamp. A Piece of sod from elswhere in the yard is preferable IF it can be taken from an area that it wn't matter. Otherwise get a piece of sod from your yard or the nursery/sod farm whatever.

Have fixed more than my share of ruts (driving my bucket truck through peoples yards to get to the pole) and have found that to be the BEST way to repair. Otherwise seed and straw but depending on the cust, good luck.
  6. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

Up sell !!!
    Topdressing is the way to go....
  7. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Yo Splicer,

Why not use plywood under your bucket truck's tires in order to avoid causing ruts in your clients' lawns? How much of your time do you spend fixing ruts that you caused? Just wondering...