1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire ruts

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by neversatisfiedj, Mar 26, 2007.

1. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

WHat I hate about digging a patio out with SS . I know it was prob too wet anuway to dig. I was digging a patio out yesterday and the ruts I was making were depper than what I was digging out. I have a 232 rubber tire SS. Would having a tracked machine create less damage ? Not easy to compact when you have tire ruts !! ( I know Chris could excavate it without ruts !! ) :walking:

2. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Not ruts with a track cat...
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you will create ruts with a track machine if the ground is soft, but not as much as a skidloader, however the downside to a track machine is that if the ground is soft enough to create a little bit of ruts then you will tear up the ground a lot more with tracks then tires....its a win/lose...if the ground is mostly dry you will be ok with a track machine because you wont make ruts and will only slightly damage the turf, but if the gound is even a little soft and you go to turn, there goes the yard.
  4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn right! Actually I started to dig a walkway out w/ our SS and the ruts were terrible, so I used our L39 instead. I hated it, but it worked out really well.

5. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

We usually dig with the mini-x because of that same problem. Trying to dig into the clay and rock with loader creates more work some times.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have used a backho and power buggys to get dirt out with out ruts
  7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you could also try these...it won't help much around the dig site, but if you are carrying material back and forth threw the yard it will atleast help prevent those tire ruts.

8. Jimbo046

Jimbo046 LawnSite Member

I share in your pain. I have been digging patios for pavers with a mini excavator for 3 years now. I have a 3' smooth bucket on a case cx-31 I can dig within a 1/2" of grade with ease. Proper soil moisture is very important in proper compaction of hardscape projects. The greatest feature of a mini isn't the tracks it is the fact that you can excavate and load spoils into a truck from the same spot. If the ground is to wet at time of excavation you can let the excavated area dry out much faster, lime works great to suck up excess moisture.
  9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

My question is why are you digging with a skidsteer. Can you say mini excavator. Use plywood to run your skidsteer on if that is what you will be digging with.