Tire Ruts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JPL88, Sep 18, 2007.

1. JPL88

JPL88 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm new to both the industry and the forum and was looking for some help. When I stripe a lawn I usually use the same patterns multiple times. How long can you do this before you get ruts in the lawn or leave tire tracks which kill the grass? Thanks.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

More than a few if you're careful, the worst is when the ground is very soft or moist and soggy or if the tires spin (such as in turns), just have to be careful and watch it. Learn your lawns, when you find those trick spots remember them, that's the best way.

I've gone over the same pattern dozens of times and never left a rut, but all it takes is one time, entirely preventable it isn't either, you will get a few just be careful, all you can do.

3. JPL88

JPL88 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, but I don't think I clarified my question properly. I meant to ask about the lawn actually deforming, as in the the area that gets tracked over frequently leaving a depression in the lawn so that there is a series of high and low spots.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Some grasses like hybrid bermuda will have the depression left after less than a year. We see this in our commericial areas, they are so small you can't really cross cut.....so we move our tracks over alittle bit each week and ocassionally will use a 36" unit or rotate in the Scag Cougar that has a different wheel pattern.