1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire sealent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by champion, Jan 18, 2003.

1. champion

champion LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any one uses a tire sealent in there mowers. how well do some products work better then others. I'v heard some makes your mower ride rought . who tried useing AMERSEAL or similar products? I'm tired fixing tires from roofing nails. Thanks
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have had real good luck with Slime!

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use slime as well. If I'm remembering correctly, its not water based, so the rims will not start to rust.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've having all the front tires on the WB's foam filled this year. I can't remember how many flats we had on them last year...probably a dozen or more. Hopefuly, this will take care of that problem. Dealer told me it was like $16 per tire to have it done.
  5. ANDY-W

ANDY-W LawnSite Member
    from IN

We use a product called monkey seal. It seems to work better than slime for us.
    I don't know if they have a web site
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I need that done to my Walkers, my Exmark has solid tires on front.

7. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know the price for the foam filled caster tires for the Walker 48" GHS decks. We have also had numerous flats & are looking to upgrade. We are also considering some sort of sealant for our wheelbarrow tires...any opinions?

Also, can the rim be re-used once the Slime is installed if you wanted to change tires...i have no experience with that stuff.

8. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

We used to sell Amerseal and we used to drive a 3/8 inch punch in a tire for a demo bet that tire had 5000 holes in it . Amerseal rules .BTW my Dixie came with some other kind in it and low and behold a small puncture 20 miles from everthing could not be sealed by it .
  9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Slime is the best for us. It's in every tire we have except the trucks.
  10. noclevername

noclevername LawnSite Member

I urge some caution in the foam filling of front caster tires (in my case an Exmark Lazer) on ZTR's. After experiencing some considerable problems with the "popping off" of front caster tires from the rims due to a slow leak (and the associated problems of re-seating the beads, I guess due to the rigid sidewalls) and being prone to nails etc. I thought I'd solve my problems permanently by foam filling them. They were done by my local tire shop (which specializes in equipment, tractors etc) and after re-installing them I was disappointed to find a fairly "violent" wobble at anything over 1/2 speed cutting and especially during travel on pavement (from site to site or back to the trailer). Upon further investigation it seems that due to the angle of the caster wheels they are very sensitive to the air pressure in the tires. While there is no air in the tires with the foam, the foam expands and the tire has the same properties as being over inflated. So.... off they came, and of course the tire and rim are virtually bonded together, it was back to the dealer for a couple of tires and rims (at a considerable cost). Now we run Slime as well, I don't know if it's any better or worse than other products, its just fairly cheap at our local auto parts place.

As for the foaming process, I don't know if there is more than one type or manufacture but I wouldn't recommend it for caster tires