Tire slime..does it really work?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkwl, Apr 1, 2006.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Slime is totally different than fix a flat. Fix a Flat will rust the rim, Slime doesn't. Changing a tire that has slime in it can be messy but I've had it done many times and the rim is still usable, just needs hosed off. You can buy Slime at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart but I think Wal Mart is the cheapest. Don't use foam filling cause that tire will be heavy as someone already mentioned but the ride will beat you to death, especially on a ztr.
  2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

works like a charm on small tires. everyone around here runs it in their atv tires.most of this country is thick with sand plum thickets and prickly pear. used to have flats every ride, now very very seldom.
  3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Slime works very well. I don't worry much about the rear tires on the ZTR but I make sure that the casters are Slimed. Personally I think it's good "preventive maintenance", can eliminate down time in the event of a small hole or puncture. And from what I can tell, it doesn't rust the rim or harm anything. Any hardware store or auto parts store should have it.

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Slime has worked great on my scag zrt but on my atv the tire still has a slow leak and its not a very big hole at all.
  5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

With the number of roofing nails in yards around here; slime is the only way to go:clapping:
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i used it in a UTV, worked great until you get that one punture that's too big for the slime to seal it.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it really works!
  8. rluscomb

rluscomb LawnSite Member

Tire slime is awesome works great, but be careful some shops will charge extra if they take of a tire and it has been slimed, i have seen the price to be $10.00 + per tire slimed
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

the slime makes the tire easier to come off. might not be able to put on a patch, though, if slime dont fix it.