Tire Slime

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Jul 21, 2007.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone else hate this stuff as much as me? i have bought two mowers that the previous owners put slime in and neither time did it actually stop a leak, but it DID however seal at least one valve stem core closed.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Whenever I get new tires for my ztr's, I always have them slimed. I love the stuff.

3. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

First time a tire needs air, more than a pound or two, or if it has to be plugged, Its getting slime before its filled again. It works well for a couple of years if you use enough in the tire.

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used it successfully too. It does make quite a mess when you put on new tires though. :cry:

5. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got slime in my tires. I ran over a segment of a small utility flag and it sent the metal wire into my tubeless tire. I carefully removed the wire and the leak looked like it sealed up. I mowed for 3 more hours w/ decent tire pressure that gradually decreased. Since then I haven't been able to keep air in the tire for more than 3-4 hours. I got a new tube installed on that wheel yesterday and I'm contemplating whether to slime it or not. My question is, does slime work as well in "tubed" tires as it's supposed to in tires w/o tubes?

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think they sell tubes with Slime already in them.

7. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they sell a separate slime just for tubes. :D

8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Mike! I love the stuff. It will seal a valve stem core closed if you happen to :nono: check your tire pressure when the valve stem is at the bottom. I check with the valve stem up as far as the castor will allow.
    The product is doing what it is suppose to do, seal leakage. Try checking tire pressure with the stem orientated past the 8 o'clock position. Just a suggestion, kenny.:waving:

9. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Along with what captken said, if the core is sealed or pluged up, just remove and replace it. I can't see the entire valve 'stem' sealing up. I've had a core or two not work properly after slimeing the tire, but the cost a core is less than a buck. Much less money than a tire repair.