Tire slime

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sodzilla, Jul 15, 2004.

1. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I went to the store tonight to buy some tire plugs (another damn utility marker flag). When I was there in the aisle I saw a gallon jug of slime. The jug was $38 but according to the directions it would fill about 8-10 mower tires depending on size. Has anyone tried this stuff? Does it work?

Thanks for the info,

Brian

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We use it and have had great luck with it, but we always carry the plug kit for bigger holes.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

We sell it and it does work but be warned it is a mess when it comes to changing the tire. I have found the best way to changed a tire that has been slimed is to just take a knife and cut it off the rim and then hose it down. You can put a tube it the tire and then put the slimed in the tube which makes changing the tire a little less of a mess. You can buy tubes that are pre-filled with slime. Be sure to tell who ever does have to change the tire when the time comes or you may be off there Christmas card list

4. works good on puncture up to about a quarter inch ..get the kind with the pieces of rubber mix in it.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

My dealer used a different kind for my tires, a Silver Streak product if I remember correctly. I have tires that have been filled with that for 3 years now and still no problem

6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use it & it works great. I think you are getting HOSED at $38 a gallon. I bought it at $19 per gallon (in a gallon sized jug) at local TRACTOR SUPPLY store. Check around, you should be able to find it MUCH CHEAPER!

Mike

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have never used slime but sounds like it has some merit for the drive tires.
    I have my caster tires foam filled and short of a 1/4 stick of dynamite going off under it, they cant go flat.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Where to you mower at? I have never seen any one mow in a mine field before

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have never had a flat on any tire that I had slimed. Eight years in some. Well worth it in my opinion.

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I slime my tires, and it helps....

But I still get flats...