Tire tracks on lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowerMoney, Jun 18, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I have been seeing brown (dry) strips on several of my lawns. They match the width of my mowers back tires so I know they are from my mower. What is this caused from???

It has been very hot and dry here for the last several weeks (had rain and cooler temps for the last few days though). At first I thought maybe I had been cutting to soon after some kind of chemical apps and caused the grass to be crushed with the chemical and made it burn but then I saw some lawns that didn't receive any treatments at all with the same problems.

Could it be that due to the dryness of the grass that the weight from my wheels further damaged the grasses?? Anybody else ever experience this?
  2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen it, it's very annoying. Change your pattern for a couple weeks, at least offset your tires - the problem will go away in a couple weeks.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Without water, the cellular structure in a grass plant is dramatically compromised, and is therefore less resilient to damage. You are crushing the stems of the plants with the mower, and eviscerating the tips with the blades. Under normal conditions, the plants maintain vigor from constant chrorophyll production, but without the most important necessity, water, severe conditions can develop, but will improve with irrigation.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In St Augustine grass when it gets really dry you will kill it in the tire tracks. Changing your mowing pattern will not help but making sure the grass is watered before you mow it will take care of further damage. You must stop mowing the dry areas, we weed eat dry areas, but that is easy when you have small yards. The wider the tires the more damage and more visibility, but we have seen damage with a 21" Snapper. When we see yards drying out we warn people that they need to water...but often they simply say stop mowing until we get rain.
  5. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I always try to cut a different pattern every week. We've had some nice rains this past week. Hopefully the lawns will come back.
    thanks for the reassuring comments. Makes me feel a little better that it's not something I've done wrong.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Impact has the correct answer.

They needed water way before you went to cut. It will bounce back but its gonna take some time.
  7. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

I have the same problem expspecially in places where the side yard and the front yard come together, and this is a spot where i have run over and I do a zero turn on 2 times.

Some of my lawns people water and they are very green, but torwards the bottom of the property you can see on the diaganol stripes 2 stips of brown grass from the tires....ill try and post some pics tmorrow