1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire tracks turning red

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sneaky, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

Asked this question a couple weeks ago but I'm still puzzled. I've had a couple local lco's look and they don't know either.. Anyway here's the problem... I have one lawn that is mostly centipede that about three days after I mow the wheel tracks turn a reddish color. The blades of grass will stay this color for about a week. This is the only lawn in the neighborhood that I didn't fertilize this year and this is the only one doing this. The only thing I can think of is deficiency of iron or sulfur. Any advice would be great.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is it possible that it is rust, and that maybe it builds up on the tires and leaves the tracks? Is the lawn new, like within it's second year?
  3. KCON1

KCON1 LawnSite Member

iron deficiency will make centipede leaves turn a purplish red color, and I have seen it when you drive a heavy vehicle such as car or truck turn this color where the wheel tracks are for a couple days to a week but haven't seen it from a lawnmower before, I'll check into that I have a Buddy thats a professor at NCSU works in the turf grass research division I'll see what he says
  4. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

sure would like the help kcon1 because I have no clue what it is.
  5. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

I have this same problem and would really like to find a salution to it. For the past two years every time I cut my grass or run over it with a truck or anything the tracks turn red for a week or so or until we have a good rain. My soil samples from last year indicated that my ph was ok and did not recommend any lime, so I don't know what the problem is.
  6. jabbo

jabbo LawnSite Member

please bump
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Same here, :angry: so if we ever get an answer I can explain it to the customers who really don't like it!
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Sneaky, I have never had that to happen, so Im curious too what the answer is.
  9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

happens here also
  10. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

My guess would be rust, I had it in my back yard before. When you walk thru the yard with white shoe's do they turn oarngish red. If so then definitly rust. The back yard I did not fertilize or water as often due to the our dog in back. No problems up front though!