tire tracks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by docjones, Apr 30, 2010.

1. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

I swear I've already done a search on this but have not really found a good response to similar question. So I have mostly cool season grass in my own yard....fescue, rye. I like a decent stripe when I cut it. Sometimes to get a better stripe I will double cut it. I've noticed the grass is somewhat less green where my tires are running. I have a Great Dane Super Surfer(stand on mower) probably weighs close to 800 lbs and me about 205. Well I'm guessing the responses I'm gonna get back are that the weight is breaking or bending grass too much and hurting it. But I know I've seen on these forums where guys doublecut and no problem. We get plenty of rain here and don't think dry grass is the issue. Look forward to some good advice. Thanks.

2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had alot of rain and the grass is really growing around here. All the yards look like that and with every type of mow out there.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's not that the mower is hurting the grass. The mower is pushing the grass over further where the tires are. A full contact grass roller like the ones from www.bigleaguelawns.com will greatly reduce the tire effect. I use one. This lawn is Lesco TriGold tall fescue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Omg... :dizzy:

One of these days I'm going to figure out a way to deal with these type of nutcase scenarios,
    but don't be surprised if I use a dark form of humor lol because I've just about had enough of it
    in the past two days and now this, what the hell is wrong with you folks lol

Like...
    You have to adjust tire pressure according to specifications?

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

thats the dumbest response i've read in a while.

i'm sure his tires have the correct psi. his height of cut would be off if they weren't..............:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I always think a lawn looks worse when double cut. If the clippings are a problem i get the blower out to disperse them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

tire pressure max is 12 psi on back tires and i run them about 10 psi.....i closely keep my pressures equal. it's not that the stripe looks bad but it's actually turning my grass yellow/brown where the tires run while the rest of it actually looks ok.....aerated and overseeded last year with rebel TTF with nice thick turf. i change directions of cut every week. anyway...appreciate the comments....guess i should just get a roller/stripe kit and quit double cutting.

8. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

i have the same mower and sometimes get tire tracks when its wet or whatever but where the tires go never leaves burnt brown marks... how much tread is on your tires? thats the only thing i can think of

9. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

tire tread is ok....machine has about 350 hours with OEM tires.

10. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

i dont have an idea then might just want to take it in to a shop and see what they think... good luck