tire traction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, Jul 13, 2001.

1. ok, i have been thinking about something for a couple of weeks now. i do lawns. not many, but i have a couple that have some hills on them. 1 lawn i go to, i use the guy's scag turf runner. he has a few areas that have hills and i usually wind up tearing the turf when the machine slides. i do another place where the front lawn is a 30 degree slope, if not more towards the house. what i was thinkin is, to get 2 strips with buckles, so you can take em off when they are not needed. i was thinking about getting, maybe not custom made, but just so that they are made for the drive tires on the machines. maybe with about 1 1/2 - 2 inch spikes. i hope that this would help to do a bit of aeration, but mostly to hold the machines on the slopes. any of you guys ever think of doin this, or maybe even try to build a couple of these. if you are gonna build em, build me a pair too.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking about doing this to my 21" when mowing steep stuff, maybe 35-40 degrees. I was gonna take like 2 inch nails and just run them through the tire with the spiked side out (obviously). I'd have to take the rubber out, but with about 10-15 of those on a tire, that would help alot.
  3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

wouldn't this dig slits in the ground??, Given the fact they would not go in or come out straight?
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

sounds to me like there is a chance that this would really rip the lawn up???
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Upon a quick thought, it may sound OK, but it would severly rip the living $h*t out of the lawn when you turn.

Kinda reminds me of "why dont they make cement tires and rubber roads?"
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Kinda reminds me of "why dont they make cement tires and rubber roads?"

Good idea Dixie. The roads might hold up better and we would never get a flat tire. :D

I agree, the cleats would tear up lawns big time. If you don't watch it with the deep lug tires, they will tear them up too, but you sure get good traction on hills.
  7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

why not try a bar tread tire like eric's dixies?
    there are plenty of tire choices
  8. actually i was thinkin that maybe the spikes could be bending. where they go in, and then when they go out they bend. or even just get 1 inch spikes. they shouldnt tear up the lawn that much, should they? and i am talking to only use them on slopes. once you are done with the hill, take em off and go on the pavement, or go cut the rest of the lawn. however, the lawn that is the big hill, the whole place would benefit from them. and the one with the ZTR. that place would benefit from constant aeration. because the ground is hard. again, this is just a thought. but they would have to be removable. that is the only thing i know. other than that its up to you guys. also, to change tires for me is not worth it.
  9. deason

deason LawnSite Member

I find if i step my fat butt off the sulky the thing just flies up the hill....... go figure!:confused:

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

deason we must have the same kind of wb..he he