1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tire traction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tpl, Apr 12, 2002.

1. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

Had a Deere and now I have a dane chariot 61" 25 kaw. I am still having a problem with traction. I noticed that the choppers have fat rounded tires. Is one better than the other and if so, what tire do you think has the most traction. I'm 243 lbs along with the other weight put on the rear.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Each of the types of tires has its place. The ones you have now will not tear up the turf as bad.

Maybe you have the air pressure to high and causing your traction problems. I noticed my lazer spinning alot this week. Which was very unusual. I checked the air pressure and it was up. Should be 13 psi in mine.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The tires that come on the Choppers are" Turfboss" tires. They are great tires, but as far as I know, they are a Chopper exclusive. They will almost float over muddy and soft ground where my other ZTRs with turf tires would sink. The open type bar tread does not collect mud and wet grass and leave it all over the street or driveway like regular turf tires. They provide a very soft ride even on rough ground. Also, they provide great traction and will not tear the turf if you are careful making turns. These are the best allround ZTR tire I have ever used.:D
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You know, I've always wondered about those tires, and just how soft they are. Are they like an ATV tire, that is that soft and bouncy, or are they more firm than that. If they were that soft, that seemes it would be great not only for traction, but for a softer ride, as well. On the other hand, it seems that if they were that soft, that they would cause the whole mower to sort of sink when it bounces over a bump or a dip, causing the mower to go down farther. Does this happen even to ANY extent?
  5. Mowingman

from Texas

They are soft but not really bouncy.I run 4psi in them as per the operator's manual. If you hit a bump, they flex, but you don't see any more scalping problem than you would if you hit a bump with regular turf tires. In fact, they seem to absorb some of the jolt. I believe you can mow over bumps faster with the Turfboss tires without sacrificing quality of cut.:D
  6. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

can u get them in 24 12 12's

do they have a web site???
  7. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Mowingman, I know that you have grasshoppers and I assume that you have a dixie chopper. Won't ask you to compare the 2 mowers, but do you have ag or turf tires on the ghoppers? If you have the ag tires, how do they compare with the turfboss on the dixies?
  8. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i have your same mower. i been stuck ever time i cut grass so far
    this year. my front tires seem to get it stuck .they have to much wieght for those skinny front tires. exmark and toro front tires seam to be almost 2x as wide .
  9. Mowingman

from Texas

My two Grasshoppers both have turf - type tires so I can not answer your question about the ag.-type tire option on the Grasshoppers. The turf tires on my 428D are really wide and it will go where my Toro Z Master will not go. However, Tues., we buried the 428 in a wet spot. After we pulled it out, I was able to go back in that area with the Dixie Chopper, and it did not sink. The Turfboss tires made the difference.:)
  10. tpl

tpl LawnSite Member

i'm going to do an extensive search on the web for these Turfboss tires. it seems to me that one should be able to find them, or at least something comperable. when i find the site, i will post the address.

thanx for all of the help so far.