Tire tread - 1 more request for help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigDave, Oct 5, 2003.

1. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

I am closing in on my decision to buy tires with better traction for my Exmark LHP 52/23. Finally! Can't wait to get this decision over with and move on.

Was wondering if anyone could help me make a decision between 3 tires (all made by Titan) as to which one you think will do the LEAST amount of damage to the turf. Here they are:

1. 489 XT http://www.titanstore.com/store/elements/picts/atv1023B.jpg

2. Turf Tamer http://www.titanstore.com/store/elements/picts/atv1014.jpg

3. Field Trax http://www.titanstore.com/store/elements/picts/atv1009A.jpg

Thanks very much. BTW, I also plan to buy the $40 tire changing tool from Northern Tool.

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have a set of the Field Trax tires and can say they will tear up grass if you are not careful. I have used the Turf Tamers in the past by quit using them because they also are way too agressive.

I looked at the 489 XT's and they look pretty aggressive also, but of the three choices, I'd suggest it. Be sure to let us know what you decide on and how you evaluate them after using them a while.

3. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Big Dave, all those tires you pictured on your post look pretty rough. I dont know what type off terrain you have, but here's a turf friendly tire for you.

t_multi_trac.jpg

4. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

having never used any of these tires I think I would choose the field trax. they look the les aggressive of the three.

5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

those tires are fairly turf friendly pictured there. They are the ones i have on my lazer i believe. If not exactly then very similar. I hate em personally. Turf friendly, but they got no grab and they slip alot. I am looking for new tires if that tells you anything.

6. WESLEY BROWN

WESLEY BROWN LawnSite Member

Just wanted to let you know that the 489 xt tires are ATV tires and are made to bite and tare. The Turf Tamers will tare real bad when zeroing, but have decent bite. The Field Trax tires look like John Deere Gator tires. If I had to choose it would be the Field Trax.

7. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Thanks all ... you've helped me rule out the Turf Tamers. That's a good point that the Deere Gators use something like the Field Trax. One plus about the 489 XT's, though, is that being bar-like tires, they will clean themselves of grass quickly.

8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

ok, i heard that tires like the 489tk is like the dixie choppers tires. My dealer (slightly exmark biased) says exmark tried them type of tires and said they did not "hold" as well on slopes. Said they slipped sideways more. I do not know if this is true or not. I would be interested to find out though. The fact that they would probably "hold" less grass in the traction vs the stock tires is a big point for me. Up here in washington it rains alot and i am a mulch man, hmmmm wet + mulch = Mass grass slick tires. Anyone know anything on this?

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Big Dave,
    Do they make all those tires in a 12" rim diameter, or are you changing the rims too???

10. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

EJK2352,

Cedar Rapids Tire (www.cedarrapidstire.com) shows 'em all as being available for a 12" rim. None of them match the size of my stock tires (24x9.50-12) perfectly (they're all a little wider and smaller than my stock tires), but I'm told they should work.