1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tire treads (ZTR): When should you replace & other Q's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tcls83, Jun 17, 2006.

1. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I have an older Exmark Lazer Z 60" and I was wondering how much you can get out of a set of tires before replacing. I have a lot of hilly accounts that are safe enough to take this mower on, and I would like to have some good grip when on these hills. I probably have say 1/4-1/3" of tread left on these tires, and figure soon that I would need to replace them. How much remaining tread determines replacement?

I was looking at the possibility of getting some different tires than what I have for next time(I have normal o.e.m. tires now). A mix between something that's better for the hills (something that grabs better), and something decent for the wet grass. Are the stock tires good enough, or is there something better out there? I do not want to spend big bucks on tires neither, so maybe sticking with the stock tires next time around would be fine by me.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I will run tires until they are almost slick, but if your doing alot odf hills then I'd say whenever you feel neccesary. There is a guy on here (can' remeber who) that uses some type of ATV tires on his lazer, and he just got a new diesel Toro...I REMEBER THAT!
  3. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I heard about the ATV tires before. Wonder if there are any downsides to using those, and if you have to get different wheels to fit the tires. I'd imagine that they wouldn't be that expensive, unless if you get racing tires. Hmmm, I'll have to look into those tires.
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Bar lug tires work very well on mid mounts - as my turf savers wear out, this is what I replace them with.
    Turf damage isn't an issue, actually in some areas like hills, it is less as the tire isn't spinning as much/at all.