Tired of a** holes!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Aug 8, 2003.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

Well this morning I started cutting my largest residential property, as I do every Friday morning, the guy walks out and pays me my 80 dollars, and says I've got some other things I want you to do for me, he wants some tall weeds (milkweeds, etc.) to be cut down, and he also wants the front hedge trimmed(very large!), then he walks around back, and points at a light ( one of those large halogen fixtures, way up on the top eave of his house), he says, can you change that bulb, and I said ok (reluctantly:( ), and I said "where is the new bulb", he says he doesn't have one, and wants me to go to a store which sells them, and buy one! He didn't offer to pay me extra for anything, bushes,weeds, or light!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :confused:

I am so tired of rich a** holes, I am really in quite a bind because I am very close friends with his daughter, and his family, what to do??????????????:dizzy:

Also he wants his yard to be cut every 2 weeks, so the front yard I cut on 3, back on 4 because it is so tall that if I cut it on 3 it would be brown, and look dead, it clumps and looks terrible, so I mulch it and go over it a second time, to make it look decent!!!

2. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Part of being a good business person is knowing when to say "no" and how to say "no".

I'd suggest telling him that he will pay more to have it cut every two weeks. For example if you're charging $60 per week now, tell him that it will cost $140 for two weeks. Explain that it is wear on your equipment, screws up your schedule takes longer, double cut etc.

Also you have to make it clear that you charge for extras. This is not to say that you should charge for every little thing, but when it starts adding to the amount of time that you're there absolutely must charge.
  3. seascape

seascape LawnSite Member

Im sure he doesnt expect you to do that extra work for free. I think you may misunderstand rich folks. He probally trusts your fees so he didnt bother asking prices. He may just want to give you extra work. Do it and put it on his bill. Be fair about it and ill be willing to bet youll see work like this often at his place.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Whenever someone asks if you can do this or that, you just quite simply wait until all requests are done, and say. "Sure that's no problem, you're probably only looking at about $X.00 to do it. We can take CARE of that for you." Be quick with it, without hesitation. Just like it's routine. They will respect this. This is a BUSINESS, you are not the neighbor kid down the street doing odd jobs for the summer! Also, I would DEFinitely submit this on a bill. I believe he didn't expect you to do this for free, either.
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. But I would not just "put it on his bill." Discuss a price first and get it confirmed in writing, then do the work.

I service a few rich folks and the question of "can you do this?" does not necessarily mean "can you do this for free?".

I say either yes I can, it'll be $X or no I can't, I'm sorry, you might try calling X.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you have to put your foot down. Just tell him that it will be this amount of money for each additional service. And if he wants the lawn ct every 2 weeks up the price and tell him that it will cost extra. If he complains nicey tell him that he needs to find another lawn care company then.
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Earn is daughter's ( and his) respect, and charge him. Not sure about you, but I'm not in this to make/keep friends. I understand your predicament, but charge charge charge!!!
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

You want to have a future in lawn care?

Bill him for the extras
  9. Building on ‘Nest’s issue of respect, of course he (and everyone) should be charged for every service. That should be your point of view. Your attitude should be that it’s obvious, for granted, it’s like that for everyone, of course everyone knows I run a pay for service business, etc.

In reality, there are freeloaders. But if your attitude is as described above, then you’ll appear reasonable (when they’re not) and perfectly calm (when they get emotional). Because getting something for nothing is absolutely ridiculous to the point of being laughable. You will assume he’s going to pay, and not default to thinking he’s trying to freeload (which would make you develope a defensive attitude).

When that attitude REALLY becomes a part of you, it will show in your body language, on your countenance, and in your voice inflections. Positively or negatively, those non-verbal queues speak so loud that many times people can’t hear what you say. Then when someone puts you in this situation, your response will be smooth, commanding, and yet non-confrontational: “Would you like me to bill you, or do you wish to pay in advance?”
  10. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I am in construction I do it every day and service a few lawns every week one always leads to the other. I have had customers do the same thing. After I've done work and they gain my trust I keep track of my hours and mat. for odd and end jobs and charge more or less per hour depeding on the tools used and lots more where hights are involved and no I am not scared of them its just the risk is there.

You'll figure it out Good Luck