1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tired of cleanups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UTM-PIKE, Mar 13, 2003.

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

I usually dont mind cleanups, during the periods when I am not getting ready to cut grass and doing alot of new landscape installs.

This one put me over the edge. It is in a "high end" neighborhood, probably 200K + houses. Anyways, one of my existing customers has just moved and says he needs some leaves picked up. I was thinking piece of cake, right, no more than a 1/2 day to a day no matter how big. His property is about an acre and the entire back yard has a huge privacy fence around it for the eyesore that is back there. The leaves have never been picked up, the trees are dense, and all of the water from the entire neighborhood collects back their. I didnt notice it for the leaves when giving the estimate, but now? Now you could throw out a couple of duck decoys and expect to kill something. Its full of water and I am losing money on it by the hour.

I know, I know, should have gone by the hour. But they didnt want me to, so I set a price of $350 and am charging $35 a load to haul it off to protect myself. Ive gotten 3 loads taken and am fed up!!! I am going to talk to the customer before I go back over there and jump ship.

Is this wise??? I honestly think I am way over my head, and I really am if I go to the back of the property (well, almost). He gave me $225 as a deposit. I will try to get another $100 and maybe haul another load to make him happy. There is too much money to be made than with this customer. We have probably worked 9 hours, and like I said, losing money by the minute.
  2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say just get the job done, and consider it a lesson learned. I've had a few jobs that I quoted on, and have ended up actually costing me money. It'll look better if you just get it done, and maybe mention to the customer that you quoted a bit low because.....and then state the reasons. Maybe they will understand and give you a little extra.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

:eek: OMG :eek: Your not kidding losing money, your out about $500.00 and your not even done. Tell the customer flat out, you made a mistake, and there is more than you expected. He has to understand it was an honest mistake, and should be willing to work with you. No wonder he gave you a deposit.
  4. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with grshppr finish the job, lesson learned.
  5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Agree with grshppr an kels finish it and consider it a lesson learned. Get some younguns in there to help speed it all up, pay em good an get it done. Ya dont want to burn no bridges, just remember the next time he asks ya to do it.
    payup :drinkup:

Do you have a chance at the lawn account?
  6. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

I have been there and done that...... I say finish it and learn that important lesson. You already gave your price.....and it was obviously to low. Just really check out the property before you bid!!!!!!!!
  7. Jarrells74

Jarrells74 LawnSite Member

Chalk it up to a lesson learned. Try to get a mowing account from him..
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Damn...I gotta move to middle tennessee. For 200K, you can only buy a decent/average 1 bedroom condo here. No kidding:angry:
  9. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

So what happened with the job? It's been a few days.
  10. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree finish the job as a lesson learned and see if you can get the account for mowing the lawn. If you walk, you say something about yourself and it only takes one person in this 200k hood to spread the word about you. So chalk it up as life many wonderful lesson.:dizzy: