1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tired of complaining customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lowcountry Lawn Care, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Nothing bothers me more than doing an excellent job (in my opinion) and still getting that little annoying complaint. I am speaking about a customer I did a shrub trimming and pine straw job for. I always take pride in my work so as always, I make sure to estimate enough time and profit to make the job worth my while. The job turned out even better than I expected, because it was such a large job and the shrubs haven't been trimmed in several years. I left with a smile on my face and pride in the job that I had done. Then I get the call..... "The job looks great but I was expecting more." When I asked what more did she want, she replied "I don't know. Just not what I expected." I then ask what she expected and she says "she isn't sure." This really bugs me because I run my business off of word of mouth. This is not someone I think will be helping with my effort to get positive word out. What do you guys do for or say to your customers similar to this? I'm lost for words in this case. Sorry, just letting off some steam. Thanks as always guys.
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

do what bobbygedd would do....

get your shovel and convince her otherwise.... :p
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would just tell her point blank, "What can I do to make you feel that it is what you expected?"

If she can't give you a definite answer, then she is just being a jerk
  4. Thanks guys. The shovel idea does sound great but she hasn't paid yet..
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Get the payment and shovel to the head!!!!!
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

mistake #1=doing a big job and leaving without cash in hand. she is saying she expected more? she will lead you around like a dog on a leash, getting you to do extras, while holding your money hostage. seen it a million times. get paid immediately upon completetion next time. don't give them time to think and look at everything and ponder. the wheels start turning in thier heads, "a lowlife lawnboy just charged me $1200 to do yard work, o my god.......my husband works 80 hrs to make that much." give them an inch they take a mile. this is why i act unstable and unpredictable, they pay me in fear i may snap. good luck to ya kid
  7. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

May be she just want to see you bent over with your butt in the air. It may be the best view she had all day. May be that is what she ment by she expected more. Show her a little more butt crack.
  8. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

I suppose it's too late now, but a before/after picture would be ideal in this situation. This is something I will be incorporating in my business from now on.That little 35mm goes a long way. If she can't look at the "after" picture and decide what it is she wants--well, there just isn't a whole lot you can do about it. Word of mouth from this woman? Not a whole lot you can do about that, either. It would be my guess though that if she carries this attitude 24/7, people that know her will consider the source and dismiss any negative remarks toward you.
  9. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Bobbygedd... Do the work, have her look & if there is something specific, do that, then get the money while she is out of reasons. Depending on "word of mouth" for your business will run you ragged. This is the reason we changed our name to "Just Mowing" several years ago to get away from the scrub, flowers, all installations.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be willing to bet this is whats going on here. You asked her twice what she expects and she couldn't answer. I think you should have let it be known you were proud of the job you did and that you can't believe it turned out so nice. The longer you go without getting your money from her the less likely you'll get it. You earned your money, now its time to pay.