1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tired of Dirty Socks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Other than using Chapps, do you guys do anything special with your SOCKS? Mine are always brown as heck, and I have a seperate stash just for bad ones..

What kind of shoe wear do you use? Do you order online from Gemplers at all?

Do you wear high-cut sneakers, steel toe or regular low-cut sneakers, steel toe or not or a work boot?

If anyone can attach a LINK to an example in Gemplers or equivalent site, that would be great.

2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Timberland hiking boots, I think they are called euro hikers, about $90.00 a pair, they will last me about a year and a half if I'm lucky, and yes my socks get very very dirty.:mad:
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i need to do something about my socks too. the pile in my garage is getting bigger and browner. i think i'll go look for som insulated high cut boots, like caterpillar or huskys
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Ankle high boots, and the garbage can at the end of the year. Throw out the stained socks, keep the o.k., and buy new. No real solution that I've found. It's just part of the business were in! :)
  5. paulsoccodato

paulsoccodato LawnSite Member

buy yourself a pair of waterproof red-wings and forget about it.
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Find some brown cotton socks.
  7. Doogiegh

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that has that problem with socks... I guess it's just the nature of the work we do..

It could be worse...

We could all clean out septic tanks for a living..

Talk about weird stuff getting packed under your fingernails. (GROSS). <G>

I'll check out the Timberlands or other Very High-cut shoes/sneakers/boots next time out for sure..

And 1.5 years for a pair doesn't seem too bad at all considering the DISTANCE ya can walk in one day alone...

8. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

That is not saying what kind of shape they will be in by the time the 1.5 years is up.:D
  9. Doogiegh

Is this a record? 8 replies in only 18 minutes since the thread started. <G>

My wife tries to seperate my dirty socks and pants from the rest of the loads and does them all seperate so I don't mess up any other clothing.. After all she doesn't want her shirts washed with my brown mud socks.. and I can see why..

Weird though, cause some days the socks stay really clean without much problem and other days.. Take the shoes off and there is a whole forest growing inside of them... <G>

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I wear a 6" steel toe Timberland Hiker. It has SOFT rubber up top that seals better than all leather tops.

Still get junk in them though. Only when wearing shorts.

When wearing long pants, they're as clean as ever. The dirt comes in from up top, and with pants on, it CANT.

If your getting dirty socks with pants on, you have a boot problem.

My socks in the summer (shorts weather) are pretty dirty. I take boots AND socks off OUTSIDE and shake both out. When washing I use a NAMEBRAND detergent and Clorox bleach. I use the HOT/COLD setting and leave them soak for about an hour then start the washer back up.

They come out pretty white, and SANITIZED!!!

Good Luck!