tired of flat tires

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by littleo92, Jul 6, 2008.

1. littleo92

littleo92 LawnSite Member

We have tryed everthing we can think of to stop having tire flats but nothing has worked, we tryed green slim, was referred to a commercial tire repair comp and they put in a commercial run flat crap in the tire still nothing, talk to a few other placew about run ning foam and they say its not good on the ddrive tran for are z turn mowers

anyone else have any other clues on how to solve this small issue:clapping:

2. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

Stop running over things with nails in them?

My first thought is solid rubber tires.

3. littleo92

littleo92 LawnSite Member

I love it you made a funny :clapping:

I wish I knew what the hell the retards where running over !

that's not aother pun is it about the all rubber tires,
    if not kind of $ ain'nt it?

4. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if solid tires exist for a ZTR. It was just the first thing that popped into my head. I know that the other day I went to a large warehouse to get a specialty hose made up and their forklift had solid rubber tires instead of pneumatics. I wish I had my camera with me. There were more screws and nails and pieces of glass sticking out of these things than you could count.
    I made mention of it to the guy that was making the hose up and he said it was for traction in the snow. :laugh:

As for cost.

Look at it this way. Downtime costs money. Tire repairs/replacement costs money. In the long run the more expensive solid tires would pay off.

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't found a good additive for flats. Seems like I put a gallon of slime in each rear tire and still had flats. Then when I repaired the tires I had all that crap all over me. What I have the best luck is plugging. Then once you have about 15 plugs in a tire just buy a new one and start over. Foam filled tires are very heavy and the ride is rough.

6. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Amerseal will work. Go on their web site to know the exact quantity to use in your tires.

7. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.j-thomas.com/mower_tires_assemblies.html

Listed under the brand Zero Flat they use a process of mixed polymers that make a soft elastomer material for a constant tire pressure. They sell them as a rim and tire Assemblies you can't add it to your current tires/wheels. I have had customers use them for front caster wheels with good results, but have never had anyone purchase any of the larger rear ZTR style tires.

8. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

I got so tired of messing with the stock junk tires, I said zero flat or find somebody else to fix'em. J-thomas.com or 1-800-828-7980 ask for a catalog. The only thing to remember is to keep the bearings greased, if the guys drive em till the bearing is shot (buy the dust covers) it's a whole new tire and rim, not just a tire or rim. These babies work bud, try'em, you'll like 'em. Goood Luck, C'ya K

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

If you're fixing the sames tires, you may have something in there like a thorn or something. Anytime you fix or replace a tire/tube run your hand in there to check for foreign objects. I must run over a lot of thorns because my left side tires are the ones that go flat. I always run a border from the left before starting my stripes and that's where the thorns are. Tony

10. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

My workplace has this stuff installed in dozens of tractors, gators, etc.. It has worked like magic for us:

http://www.multi-seal.com/Heavy-Duty-Tire-Sealant.htm

At a Hort. trade show, they demonstrated ice picks, etc. into tires and they all sealed up.

I noticed that the MSDS for this product and the Amer-Seal both list Ethylene glycol as the main hazardous ingredient.

I think they both rely on fibers that "coagulate" in their mix to do the work.

I don't work for this company or have any affiliation with them.....other than a happy customer.