Tired of My Tires! What to replace with?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by punk_rockin2001, Jul 28, 2007.

1. punk_rockin2001

punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member

I have an '06 DC that came with Turf Boss IV tires. The size is 24x11.00-10NHS. I really have had it with the tires, and am looking for some new ones to replace with. I'd like something much wider. When the tires are aired up properly there is only about 5 inches on the ground, and I need something that won't leave tire tracks, as many divots, and possibly hold hills better. Has anyone changed out the tires on a DC before? I don't really know what my options are. Which number on the tire is the one I need to pay attention to, the 24, 11, or 10NHS? Any help would be awesome!! Thanks!

2. punk_rockin2001

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The first place to check is with your dealer. Dixie has a couple of different tires. The numbers that make a difference are the height of the tires (24) and the size of the rim (10). The 11 is the width of the tire.

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

An 11" tire with only 5" of the tread on the ground ? How much pressure are you using ?

Nosmo

6. punk_rockin2001

I use the max pressure of 10 psi. Its just the way the treads are, so little is touching the ground. If I mow after a light rain and the ground is damp the treads will actually cut into the ground making a track all the way across the lawn. It is not visible above the grass but I can sure feel it if I have to go back over it. Its like riding back on mini rail road tracks or something. I just think thats a little too aggressive. I was thinking about replacing with these tires:
    [​IMG]
    They are the only ones I can find that are still 24inch and will fit the 10inch rim. They are Turf Trac R tires by carlisle.

7. Nosmo

If you are using the maximum pressure (10 lbs.) what is the minimum you can use ?

For instance on my Tank 24 x 12 x 12 rear tires minimum of 10lbs to maximum of 20 lbs. I am running 10 lbs.

Nosmo

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That was a good question Nosmo. I run 6 to 7 in mine. The minimum is 6. I've never checked to see how much of the tire is actually on the ground because I don't have a problem with them.

9. Nosmo

The reason I asked what pressure he was using is this. The more pressure -- the more the curvature on the tread area.

Ever seen a automobile tire with tread left on the shoulders and the center worn out ? It had been run at high pressure. Just the opposite when uninflated -- shoulders worn off and center tread left.

I was using the reasoning of letting some of that air out to let the shoulders and center contact the grass.

Nosmo

10. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Thost Turf Trac RT and RS are junk you will have even less on the ground I bought a set and took them off they will spin cause there is not any tread on them I had a similar problem and dropped the pressure to 5lb on the Turf Boss III and no problems any more It seems like Dixie tries to make a tire that no one will duplicate the size with a decent tire but drop the pressure and you will see a big improvement