1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tired of people ripping on the new guy!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Im tired of people ripping on the new guy, and complaining about people starting in the lawn care business. Thats all everyone seems to want to do anymore is complain. I am new to the business, however I am only 23 years old and have to start sometime, just like you all did at one time or another. Its not my fault that there are alot of LCO's out there, but am I not suppossed to do what I want to do for a living, because you guys have been doing it longer. Thats ridiculus. I also don't like that the market is saturated right now, but I know that I'm going to deal with it and provide the best service at a reasonable price in order to compete. Im sure not going to wine and complain about it on lawnsite, like alot of people are doing. This type of thing happens in every business, the strong will survive and the week will get weeded out.
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Touhey33 good for you! I see a lot of stupid comments of people that say they have been in the business for years. This is a great site though, and a lot of good opinions also. Life is simple just treat others as you want to be treated, give a fair price, do the best possible job you can do.
  3. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I think the majority of "ripping" on the new guys stems from the fact that many new members here, especially those new to the industry don't take the time to investigate the site. Many of the questions new guys want answered have been asked and answered to death. I am guilty as well. I think some of the long time members burn out on answering the same questions over and over.

Many new guys are just that. Guys new to mowing and really don't know anything about the business aspects of the trade. Someone once had a thread that asked " are you a businessman or a lawn mower?" The point being many new guys get in this business knowing nothing. Some can't even mow a lawn correctly.

I believe many of the long time members are successful business owners who cringe every time some "new guy" comes along with a pipe dream and no knowledge of the business. SOMETIMES these new guys are in this for a fast buck. They may do shoddy work and/or use poor quality equipment. These 2 acts drag down this industry and make it harder for legitamate LCO's to prosper and justify their charges.

Only you know where you fit. If you are serious and want to be successful, you will learn to use this site to answer your questions. As you progress, the questions you "have" to ask will reflect your maturity in the business.

My advice, as I said, use the search feature, learn all you can, and don't take it personal.

Good Luck!

P.S. There are a couple of A-holes here that just like busting B@lls.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Newbomb-very good reply!!! payup
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah Newbomb, good one. If half of these newbies would take a few minutes to search the archives of this educational site, they would have hours of informative reading that will help them to raise their own level of knowledge.
  6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Man I have been dying for a reason to use this...THANKS!!!!

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

And what is it you are currently doing other than whining and complaining ?
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Much of the "ripping" stems from the individuals lack of effort put toward starting their business. It really is best to spend time reading the past threads on the site. Much like reading a textbook in class. It's educational, although you have to try and decipher what's useful or useless information. The "attitude" you may get from some, and most likely I fall into that category, is I'm not really going to give too much information. I like to converse and share some things.

I guess, since you changed your career goals from a teacher to the green industry, I could give a thought of how some here feel with just handing over the information. I like to think that I have, and will continue, to work relatively hard at making my business succeed. I've learned some things the hard way, and got lucky on others. So my point is, would you like to have continued toward being a teacher, wherever and whatever it may have been, yet do it for free. To give the knowledge you have paid for through schooling and time spent earning a teaching degree, then do it for no compensation. In a sense, that's what some on here are asking.

I'm not trying to be a total a$$, but think about it from a different perspective. Some here are more than willing to offer advice, some aren't. All depends what mood I'm in that day as to what I may share. Then again, what the hell do I know. As you said yourself, the people that know what they're doing, or at least learn from experience, will prevail. Good luck with it.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah, forget my previous rambling, I like this answer better!
  10. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody wants to learn anymore.....they want it handed to them....I am more than happy to help anyone....IF YOU HAVE ATTEMPTED TO HELP YOURSELF FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!