Tired of running around after plants

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by teejet, Aug 6, 2007.

1. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Does everyone order their plants from a wholesaler and have them delivered? What is the usual minimum order and shipping cost? How do you find a wholesaler near you? I have been buying mine here and there. Sometimes Lowe's , I can get a 30% discount at a large nursery,but it is 40 miles away. I hate driving there when I only need a few plants.
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Do they deliver?

I'm pretty far from you so my suppliers don't do you any good. Look up a nursery or grower trade organization in your area.

Or what I did......who supplies the nursery you go to? Ask the loaders.......'oh hey this is nice, where'd that come from blah blah blah'. Figure heads of course will probably not want to tell you.

Sometimes on the plants it will say who grew it.......usually perennials.

I have growers that tell me $500-$2000 minimums but that rarely applies. I just bought $463 of perennials from one. They just wait so they have a full truck to your area and then bring it so the same truck supplying the nursery you spoke of would stop by your place too during its route.
  3. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

My first question would be, how much plant material do you use (approx) in a month lets say???? But as said earlier many nurseries (wholesale) have a minimum they vary A LOT depending on the nursery. Freight again varies A LOT depending on where the material comes from. Let me know how much you use and we can go from there.

PS Please don't support Lowe's for buying plants and fert. etc... :)
  4. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It varies on how much I spend on plants. Sometimes it is 400 dollars alot of times it is a little job and only 100. Would it be worth it to buy 100 worth of plants and have them delivered, or would they even do it. I would say on average it is 1 thousand a month that i spend on plants, but that is going up quickly
  5. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Well then getting a FTL is most likely out of the question. But something that could be very useful is finding one - three other companies like your self and split the freight (which is ridiculous these days) this way you get good wholesale prices and don't pay a arm and a leg for shipping. My suggestion would be to try and plan out (not that im sure you don't already) as best you can a go to that nursery where you get a 30% discount and load up on essentials. Because right now freight is your biggest enemy. Look around see if there are any rewholesalers near by (like a Shemin).

Few more questions about getting a better answer??

- Do you have a holding area?
    - How many people do you have working for? (could someone water in the morning and at night, maybe take a day a every week or so and prune/fert if necessary)
    - Do you pick the plants you install or do your customers (I know they always have a say but) do you have a basic pallet of plants you use?
    - Have you talked with your local nursery about freight charges and min orders for del??
  6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

My nursery is wholesale and delivers for 75 bucks. We get discounts if we buy in large quantities. For example if we buy 5 15 gallon plants we save 2.50 on each plant. www.bcnursery.com
  7. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

most landscapers in my area go to local nuserys for those things enless its a huge order for a whole development or such then they go direct to the supplier, or in some cases through the nusery to the supplier.
  8. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

There are growers (that sometimes sell direct to the trade) and there are wholesalers. 95% of the time we buy from wholesalers and pay whatever their delivery fee is (usually $50-$75) - much cheaper and efficient than tying up crew or foreman time. I always bid my jobs based on our wholesale cost.

If we have jobs with some large specimens or hundreds of one particular plant - sometimes it makes sense to locate them and purchase directly from the grower as the cost savings can be significant (it ends up being "gravy $").

So I say find a wholesale nursery in your area
  9. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Yes I could stock up on some plants that i use on a regular basis. I don't have anyone to go in on orders with. I could make a holding area. I have an area 20' by 15' in my backyard it is part sun. Lets say I made an order for 2000 dollars at one time. What is the best time of the year to order. Some plants would need repotted before a year if not used wouldn't they. How much could I save by getting them from a grower vs. the nursery.