Tired of the high acreage stuff

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowinforaliving, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys feel about the high acreage accounts? I've got a 2 mile roadway that's 29 acres all together, plus another lot that's around 5, and a few more that are at least 3. Aside from these, I also have smaller commercial and some residentials. I'm wanting to get out of the big stuff and get into the residentials and manicure accounts. I've secured a mansion style house for a widow and some other things here lately such as an orthodonic clinic and things like this. I've got my applicator's license now and am really wanting to "move" into this area. What are you guy's opinions on the big stuff? Do you even bid on them or what? I'm not asking an advice question here, just mainly starting conversation on the subject to get a feel on what you other LCO's think and how you feel about the type of accounts you have.

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

I personally like the big accounts. However, you gotta remember, nothing lasts forever, and when, not if you lose a big one, it will hurt. We still have most of the small accounts we started with 15 years ago, and when my biggest client (50% of my revenue) got stroked better by another guy, it was Goodbye to me. Although I like the big stuff, my only salvation through all of this was the fact that I kept loyal to those that got me where I am today-and I didn't do something stupid like focus only on that one particular client. Unfortunately this all happened just before the spring, and I was SOL. I could have sworn they would have been with me till I retired. We had them for 10 good years. I think its important to mix it up so all your eggs don't get crushed on D-Day. Just my $0.02.

3. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the exact reason I want out. You couldnt have worded it better. With high acreage, all eggs are in one or two baskets, versus several.

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would replace the Scag Tiger Cub 48" deck with a Walker MT 42" GHS, or the new Exmark Navigator, I sold my Scag Tiger Cubs 48" velocity decks to better serve all my customers residential, commercial, industrial. I agree diversification is the key to LCO survival always thinking outside the box. After several days of residential accounts driving all over hell, I am ready for my larger acre accounts time to slow down & enjoy the equipment. High end accounts require some stroking, sometimes worse than big commercials too. I only get nervous when my Commercials decide to "bid" my account out for a "price" check, luckly not happening this year

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

I dont care if this offends anyone, but in my 25 years in this business I have learned a lot-and it has all come at a price-sometimes a very expensive price. Nowadays, I price to do the job right, and get it, with references, never giving anyone a reason to not want to pay me on time. They all appreciate our efforts, and the workmanship speaks for itself. Beyond that, I price every extra as if it was the last job I will ever do. Because you never know when you'll be in the outward path of the revolving door.

6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

LDH, I love them big ones, kick back with your feet up on the front and just cruise around for awhile, usually not many trees to have to go around and no landscaping. Easy money to me.

7. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i agree pass them this way

8. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

You're mowing 29+ acres with a 48" tiger cub? If you had a larger mower, then they might not seem so bad.

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I really like the smaller lots during the fall because most of them don't have some many leaves in the fall, which means easier clean-up for me. The big ones in my area usually have a lot of trees and a lot of leaves in the fall. But during the summer and spring I really prefer the bigger accounts.

10. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Because I mow municipal properties, I get the whole spectrum of small lots around the buildings to large athletic fields. Can't really relate to you regarding your business decisions because I'm the Town's employee, I can say that I absolutely love mowing grass and mowing the sports fields. You get a lot of experience using a 72" front mower, and it gives you a lot of confidence taking the machine onto smaller properties and doing a nice job. Nice wide stripes, etc.. and done fast. I guess you need to be equipped to handle the big jobs efficiently, and that means no less than a 72" mower. All of our smaller 72" machines like our Deere 1445 or our Kubota F3060 have baggers on them and the 'Bota will dump into a truck if needed.