TIred of the rain, again!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassman177, Apr 24, 2010.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have not mowed since Thursday and went out this morning despite how wet it is and we mowed in the rain till aobut 2. it finally was raining so hard and the grass was so thick all it did was clog my mower decks. i had to quit and leave those jobs a mess. i hated it, but i called those customers and told them we would be back to finish and they were ok. well, it is still raining and this storm is one of those that swirls around and keeps hitting you again and again.

so now on sunday i will be cutting lawns meant for thursday, oh and it will spill over onto monday i am sure due to the time it will take to make them look decent and how many i still have to do.

already reminding me of last year, anyone else in this boat ????????????:cry:

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have learned not to complain about rain. At least there is grass to cut at some point.

No rain.....then you aren't cutting even when the sun shines. That's bad news man.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

We were supposed to get rain today....nothing. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow and Monday, but I'm not holding my breath. We could really use it, but its so dry here that as the rain comes into the area it breaks apart and we don't get any rain.

Just be happy to have rain.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Its frustrating to get into a dry trend, isn't it? You just can't buy a drop of liquid heaven when you are in that poor trend.

5. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Very true....

What happens for the big companies when they have to change a lawns mowing date due to rain....

For example, you usually mow the lawn on Monday, but it rains and you can't mow until Thursday, do you mow Monday of the next week (only 2 days later) or do you mow the lawn on Thursday from then on?

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm solo but i find a way to get back on schedule. as of yet i haven't had that much rain where my monday wouldn't get cut until thursday but if it were to happen i'd either go ahead 2 days later or more likely skip it until the following week.

7. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here, didnt mow yesterday or today, so backed up, i cant even begin to estimate how many I have to do when it finally drys out! Hopefully it will stop tonight, but not looking good, it is thundering and lightning and raining like crazy as I type this. It started earlier just as I was finishing up the trucks oil change, and been coming down ever since. Oh well, nothing anyone can do about it.

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

nope, still raining right now. according to radar it will be donw in about an hour, but it rained since noon yesterday so i am unsure if i want to actually try to go out right after it stops or not. i usually dont complain about rain, and we were in a dry spell for about 2 weeks, but it is pretty darn over wet right now!

now it is sunday and i am mowing thursdays lawns, still...... and i wont get it down today either, but to answer the question of scheduling, sometimes it straight does get moved to a different day for a while and eventually due to rain again it gets worked back to the intended day, but if i can(depending on how the rest of the week goes) get it back on thursday or even friday the following week i will, and it wont be shy of needing cut either! it more than makes up for the fact that i had to spend way too much time making it look good the week b4 and the monthly average is still the same and no one has ever complained about it when we do this due to rains.

9. McEwans Lawn Service

McEwans Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I know what your saying. My son is going to help me today. Fort Scott is in the clear so maybe in hour or two I hope it will be done. I have radar on my phone and I checked it so much in the last 2 days they might charge me for another month ha ha. There has been enough here I think that it is going to track in the yards I sure hate that but have to get back on schedule.

10. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

grassman, I know what you mean, I'm up in St. joe, I got to mow yesterday until about 4:30, got rained on a couple times, after 3 I just started mowing some of my crappier yards...ground was like a sponge, everything looked horrible..but what do you do!

just remember, a bad mowing job is like a hair cut, this time of year in 3 days you won't be able to tell....now you just have to convice the customer of that too!

Good Luck