Tires ??? 2ply-4ply-6ply

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Aug 31, 2002.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Well I got 680 hours on them, mostly on turf. but today was the day.

I was just finished with my last pass of the week and I felt a spongy feeling. Looked to the side and there she was blowing air. I obviously caught something across the sidewall and made a small slit (less than 1/2"). They were TITAN 4 plys 18-9.50-8 on my Walker.

I need to have tires for Tuesday and with the holiday coming on Monday, I was pinched. There is only one place in my area that had tires for me so I picked two of them up.

I am not sure if there will be a problem but they are 2 ply tires. I do lots of hills and wonder if there will be a problem? I also notice that the 2 plys have a max inflation of 12lbs and my 4 plys are at 24lbs max. I always run them around 16-18 anyway.

I tried a search with lots of mention of tires but nothing like this.

What do you think?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

All I know, is that I'm having a WORLD of trouble keeping my front smoothies inflated. Twice this week with flat tires, and the tube is all oatched up for previous flats as well. I sure wish they'd come out with a soft puncture resistant tire for the fronts of Lazers. They have them for the smaller ones on the wb's, but not in this size.:confused:

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

runner ,i think they gottum somewhere. think there full of foam or something.
    hope this helps. i thought exmark was offering them this yr . but i could be wrong about that.

4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

POLY- FILL !!! Never have to worry about a flat again, just when the foam starts to show from wear. Just have them filled a couple of pounds lower than what you normally run in them with air ... I learned the "hard" way. If you inflate them to the same PSI. you use with air, they will be a bit too hard.
    But other than that, the stuff is great

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I know about polyfil and foam but what about the plys on the tires.

They don't foam the drivers because that would be too heavy.

6. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Use the 2 plys if you are in a pinch but line up some more 4 ply when you can. The two's won't hold up very long. Very weak tire IMO. I had two's on my Viper when I bought it.(24-12-12) They made it about a month before the first flat. They wore out EXTREMELY fast. I have 4 ply now and they are holding up great. A little stiff but at 8 psi they are no problem as far as tracking.

Who has the "foam fill" anyway? Tire stores? :confused:
    I'd do it in a minute if I could find someone here that does it.
    Asked my friends at Lesco and the other dealer that I do business with and neither could tell me anything.

7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Dennis E., try at a "truck" tire repair/dealer like a Goodyear that works on mostly truck tires ... ie., tractor trailers, garbage trucks, straight trucks as well as 4x4's ... a place like that does it around by me and it runs about $35 for a 18 x 8.5 - 8. Price depends on how much foam they have to put in .... they usually have a price chart for different types of tires ... all off road (not for highway use) type tires.

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Check also with a forklift place. They use foam and other things for some of the tire types that towmotors use.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The only problem with the foam fill, (and this is why it is not recommended by Exmark for their Lazers, and other manufacturers of Z's as well,) is that when a tire is foam filled, it is as hard as a rock. Just like being fully inflated. It is recommended that on most Z's, these front tires be kept soft. It affects both the handling and the mowing performance. A harder tire would also beat you and the machine to death. Pump them up and try it. You'll see what I mean. What I need, is a low pressure puncture proof tire in the 13x6.50x6 size. I just bought two new smoothies today, because one had splinters in the inside, and I guess was wore out. Incidentally, these that I bought, were the Kendas, and they seem like a little better tire than the Carlisles that were on it. The sidewalls are thicker, for one.