1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tires and winter months...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PearceLawn, Dec 15, 2007.

1. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quick question here....I store my equipment in my garage in the off season. It seems that about every ten days or so I have to go out and re-inflate the tires on the rear of the machines.

Some one said it is because I store the machines on a bare concrete floor. I have a hard time with that one but who knows. Been doing this for 11 years now and it is the same every year.

Any input? Any way to stop it?
  2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I store equipment in a similar environment and don't have a deflation issue.
  3. PearceLawn

Every tire I have out there deflates. Just the larger rear tires. No holes or anything in them. Not a huge issue just a pain to keep filling them. I don't even touch them during the season, unless there is a problem.

Oh well. Just another mystery!!

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I have my equipment on my trailer all winter, so that isn't a problem. I used to keep my mower on a cement floor, and I had the tires on a rubber mat, thick cardboard, or plywood, and it kept the tires nice. I think it dries out the tires, but I'm not sure.
  5. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My equipment is stored still on thr trailer every winter in a large shed and I to seem to have the same problem with flats. Out of three mowers I usually find 1-2 tires flat during the winter but yet during the summer I never have a problem.
  6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

If you store them for a while whats wrong with just letting them sit with low pressure for a while?
  7. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

It is colder and the rubber gets harder and loses the seal between the tire and rim. You should keep the equipment in a heated garage on rugs @ 70 degrees or so and there won't be any flats. As a bonus the heating bill will take care of your profits from the season.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Once I get tired of a tire losing air I fill it up with some slime, or if I don't have any then Dollar Store fix-a-flat usually takes care of it.
    It's not the best solution because the stuff makes a mess sooner or later, but it does help in the immediate headache department.

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

As the pressure goes down, the chance that the tire cords will seperate go up. Even if just sitting still. Even brand new tires with clean rims leak some. When mine leak, I just add a sealant ( Pneumaseal ) if it is a fairly new tire. Or a tube if an old one.
  10. PearceLawn

I will give some slime a try.

If I let them sit they will be the only thing between the rim and the floor and may/may not damage them. It's not like I don't inflate them before I move them but just to be safe I keep them up.

I may try to block up the mowers so they will only go just so far down before they hit the blocks and the weight of the machine sits on the blocks.

Any other suggestions or answers are certainly welcome. The info on here from you guys is always good and much appreciated!!