TIRES (?) Chevron/Bar or All Trail or ATV or other?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK guys, I'm sick and tired of slipping and sliding on turf tires.

I have Multi-Trac and Turf Master tires.
    Both are OK tires and both have their good and bad points.
    But neither have traction where I need it...

TURNING!

I'm so sick and tired of going to turn and having the inside tire skid.
    Or going to zero turn and having one tire grab and the other spin.

So what should I get?

So far I'm considering the AT101 chevron/bar tire. Seems like a good tire that you would have to be really careful with. But I also question the 'side-bite' of these for crossing slopes. So I'm also considering a similar tire for ATV's that has bar lugs and knobbies on the sides. In addition, Lesco sells a kit with the All Trail tires, which is an option. Plus I plan to shop other ATV tires.

For those of you who have switched to an alternative tire with sucess, please share your story with me....

2. Envy Lawn Service

Where are you guys at??? :help:

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Envy Lawn Service

Very agressive? Boy you ain't kidding. I'm afraid of those....

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have found that w/ my Dixie Chopper that if the treads are not connected they will bite into the turf. I had some cheaper Carlysle tires and they really tore into the turf on turns and such, but the Turf Bosses that come on Choppers don't have any breaks in the tread and do much better.

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We got a set of aggressive tires on our JD Z trac with the cleets on the side and they really work good. You can flat plow some ground with these things if you want to. We mow some treterous roadsides with some steep banks and they have a lot of tracton but they aren't too good to use in a yard or anything like that.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We just started using our Walker and noticed it is a lot better on turns. I think the reason is the hydro reacts evenly to the controls to go forward or backwards. In other words when you turn you can have one wheel going forward and the other going backwards and thus not digging. I noticed that our Scag Tiger don't react to going backward very fast when you pull back on the handles. The Walker reacts much faster.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Are you talking about the one tire I'm considering?
    Chevron/Bar/Tractor tread in the center... knobbies/cleets on the side.
    There are several different ones, but all the same basic concept...
    Like this tire...

[​IMG]

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The tires i'm talking about are tractor tread typr tires with cleets on the side. They are a lot like the tire in the picture.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I know what you are saying about the reaction time. I ran into that with the hydro failures on the Yazoo/Kees mowers. Everything still operated, but the reaction was very sluggish and groaning. They would also just flat out fail to respond to reverse input. So that tire would just roll and twist, sit and twist or drag and skid.

Now while this is similar in the end result, it's happening for different reasons. Rather the offending tire is going forward or reverse just depends on which way has the most resistance to the 'swing' involved in zero turning... or in other instances, which tire has less weight on it.

Some of these lawns are tender enough that the damage will occur in a split second. I'll even admit I have torn turf by watching and trying to compensate for the tire I expect will slip... and while trying to watch and make sure I have it moving a split second before the other tire... ahh, just twisted the turf a little.