Tires coming off the rim of a bobcat?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SouthernYankee, Jan 17, 2007.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

My tires are well, lets say well used, but arent bald and are in decent shape.

The right front tire came off the rim about 5 months ago, I brought it to a tire place they put it back on the rim. No problems.

In the middle of a job a few weeks ago, same thing happened tire came off the rim.

I get pissed take it back to the shop, for the hell of it I took my 10lb portable air tank and put some air in the other tires, then I put some air in the tire that came off the rim. To my surprise it fully inflated and seated itself perfectly back on the rim.

Has anyone had problems like these with tires comming off the rim? I assume that the tire went back on the rim with only using the air tank is because its such a low pressure tire.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same problem with my machine. One freaking tire would gradually go flat on my constantly. Popped off on me twice. Couldn't figure it out, I finally got pissed and just broke down and got new sneakers for her. I also had them put that no flat stuff in them. Who knows, one guy said it was the rim, but the new skins are on the same rim with no problems. :confused:

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like the bead on the tire is broken so its letting go when it gets into a certain position like turning and its on the bottom. I bet if you replaced the tire the problem will stop.

You are very lucky the tire reseated and sometimes they get stubborn where you have to take the the tire right off clean up the bead surface on the tire then put lots of whale snot on the bead of the tire.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have on had that happen as well. My problem had been bent rims. I solved the problem by buying better tires. The galaxy tires after getting some hours on them seem to get soft. I don't have the problem with all of them but some of them. Maybe it is a quality control thing. I went to Firestones DX tire much harder and flatter tire. I never had the problem again. You may have broken some of the nylon in the tire allowing for more flex than normal. It is unusual to be able to seat the tire bead. They usually have to use a cheater to seat my tires.

5. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Have some bead sealer put on the wheel lip next time before you air it up.

6. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

Where did you buy your tires, size and price? I have galaxy tires as well and constantly have to refill two of them even after putting beadsealer on the rims. I want to purchase new tires and have them foam filled for the work that I do.
    George

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We have Galaxy Beefy Baby II's on our 216 and one tire is always losing pressure, I probably air it up once every week or so. I think we're going to look at some Nu-Air tires next time around. No flats, no special rims.

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

These are the tires that come on the machine. I have purchased the Marathoner tire from Galaxy to try them and they were no better than the Beefy Baby II that the machines came with. My last machine I bought (465) came with SKS Hauler by mistake. I will see how they last. Too early to tell yet. When it is time to replace tires I will go back to the Firestone tire. The side walls on those tires are very stiff. Watching the guys try and put them on the rims is painful. The tread is very flat much different from the Galaxy tire which seems to cup out when filled which makes a different in the available traction I think. Before I found the Firestone tire I was going to fill mine as well. I was soo tired of flat that I was ready to kick down for the foam filled tires. I decided to try these before I went to that extreme and I am glad I did. I never bent another rim and other than nails never had a flat. I have had Galaxy tires that have leaked air through the bead itself. Very wierd and irritating because there is no obvious problem until you put the tire in the dunk tank and let it sit for a while and you will see the bubbles come from tire bead (this is through the rubber not the connection between tire and rim). Over all I don't think much of Galaxy tires.

9. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

KSSS, Where do you purchase your tires?

George

10. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i just had a similar problem...I popped the air valve causing the tire to go flat (i then got stuck real bad in mud but thats another story)...

so i brought it to Sullivan Tire, the guy there popped the tire off put a new valve on and checked the rim and tire...no damage...

next day i get back to the job and in two seconds i was flat again...i bring it back to same place and another tech said that the guy that put it on the night before didn't clean the tire properly, causing the bead not to seal properly...so it was probably leaking all night

so maybe thats your problem...