1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tires for walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slplow, Jan 30, 2002.

1. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm buying a new walker 26 efi or 20 hp in feb and was wondering what tires I should go with. Right now i'm running standered tires on my 98 mt and they work ok on the lawns that I am mowing. I was thinking of trying the low profile tires or the all terrain tires. How do you like these tires and do they make the ride harder?
  2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Go with the low profile.
    I have a 94' diesel and had to pay upwards of $400 to change to these soon after they came out. Hard to justify that kind of expense but now consider it one of the best things I have done to the mower. Much better traction on any kind of slope and the mower seems to make less tracks in damp grass.
  3. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Cleve, do you run the turf or the a/t tires.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The Low Profile are good tires if you have any deck of size 48" or larger.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i have tried the all terrain(lugged) tires in the summer. My take on them was it increased you turn around time way too much. You could not just do a quick turn without pulling up turf. We do use these tires in the winter on a mt for doing walks in this situation the traction is a godsend
  6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to use anything smaller than a 48" deck use the standard tires. The low profile are the same width as the 42" deck and it took a couple of blown sidewalls for me to learn to stay away from obstacles.

I have never used the all-terrain tires as I do not have a need for them.

7. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I have both regular low-pro and ATs.
    The ATs are worth every penny.
    The AT will make you stick to the hills like a spider BUT when they slip they show no mercy to the turf.

The ATs are extremely useful when running the aerator and scoop as well as mowing on very hilly sites.

8. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I am running the 42" deck with my diesel. I have not had any problems with hitting anything with the sidewalls since putting on the wide profile tires. I will admit the tires do come closer to walls and curbs but not a problem. I also have the turf tires. About the same tread as what came on the mower when new. When the ground is soft like after days of rain these mark enough, I didn't want to try the A/T and have them mark any worse.
  9. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i have a 93 diesel with a 42" deck.i 've been using golf cart tires on this machine for a couple of years now with now problems.i tried the turf saver tires for a couple of months but it tore up the turf too much when turning.you can get the golf cart tires pretty cheap though northern tool.i think they were around $32-$36 each.
  10. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Go low profile. Tried the knobbys and turf. Like the turf better but the knobs stick better on hills. Don't buy the setup from Walker dist. Way to expensive. It's 18x10.50-10 . You need the spacers from Walker. You'll need new rims also. Preco might have them cheap.