1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tires for your feet....good set of work shoes

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gmlm, Dec 22, 2012.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Those keens look pretty comfortable, I would agree that steel toes aren't really neccesary, we didn't even have to have them in the military, but if you are a company with a good amount of employees your insurance company may see different. I had a pair of wolverines last year that are still in decent shape, waterproof boots for sure. Tennis shoes, even though comfortable, provide no protection and most aren't waterproof.
  2. It's About Thyme

It's About Thyme LawnSite Member

I wear workboots only no matter what I'm doing.Uninsulated,unlined logger heel Carolinas in the summer and last winter I used a pair of Thorogoods,I really liked them alot.They had the redwing quality and comfort without the redwing price tag.The last redwings I had were $290 although comfortable didn't last any longer than any of the other boots in past.Going with Thorogoods again this winter we will see how they do.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at the web information, and the pictures. The sole does not look very aggressive. How good are they for walking on slopes with green grass, or other slippery conditions? How deep are the indentations? They look shallow, but hard to tell from the pictures.
  4. Greenboy24

Greenboy24 LawnSite Senior Member

I did not notice any unusual slipping this year as I wore them. Its definitely not the exact same as a typical workboot tread although other models may have a different one than what I have. Seems the same as the chippewas that I had before
  5. dvkeller

dvkeller LawnSite Member

Workboots with steel toe either Thorogood, Chippewa, Justin, or any other brand. But MUST BE MADE IN THE USA.
  6. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

i always wear redwing logging boots for working. The main reason is probably because they take me from 5'8" to 5'10".
  7. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Something I've figured out is that like tires, it ain't the tread pattern that gives you grip as much as the rubber compound.
    Trouble is the longer wearing compounds are more slick.

I've had hiking boots worn slick that had more traction than a pair of "turf" shoes with rubber cleats on the soles.

Like Carslile tires. The TurfSavers have big rubber blocks on them but are slick as snot. While the TurfMasters have practically no tread to speak of and keep traction on a hill in the rain.

It's either going to be long life or wet traction. There's no way to tell by looking at the soles. They just go by reputation. That's why threads like this are helpful.

As a solo operator I figure I can't afford one slip & fall accident. So I get the very best boots, Danner 452's. And replace 'em every year to the tune of $170. Still cheaper than missing one day of work.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

As a solo, I agree with these observations. This is why my question, and your observations are interesting to hear. I probably have more than a few years on you (maybe decades?), so the issue of slip/fall is of great concern. Some have told me, "You are an accident waiting to happen...."

In 17 seasons, I have not missed one day of work because of injury, or illness. .... would like to keep it that way.
  9. former farmer

former farmer LawnSite Member

Not all of the Redwings are Made in USA. I own two pair of Redwings and one is Made in USA and the other China:angry:. Basically the same price for both pairs. If labor is that much cheaper in China, why were the boots basically the same price?
  10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I often wonder the same thing about lots of products LOL