Tires...Heavy duty that won't go flat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harley-D, May 10, 2007.

1. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

I need some super heavy duty tires to mow medians with that won't go flat every other day. Any after market suggestions? A friend of mine got a huge municipal contract and is going through tires like crazy. Are there some out there with huge tread?

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Have them filled with foam. You will have to call around to find someone near you that does it. A good place to start would be a tractor sales company such as John Deere Sales. Last I heard I believe it was 20 bucks or something like that to fill a mower tire.

5. Harley-D

He's having the front one's filled with foam but what about the rear? They're 24x12's. typical zero turn mower rear tires for a 60" cut.

Foam would add too much weight to the rear tires. He probably should get a tractor to mow it but whatever. thought i would help him out and find him some after markets.

Other suggestions?

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

he could fill them with that green tire slime...i'm pretty sure that helps prevent flats from tiny thorns and stuff, not sure about nails, glass, etc... or he could do it amish style and get steel wheels, now that would look cool.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Bunk. The new foams that are now available are light AND soft. They feel and ride as if they were air filled. I'll never go back to an air filled tire on any mower.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

there used to be some aircraft tires out there that were 16 and 24 ply, some in tractor sizes. they sent me a plug once of a tire, it was close to 3/4 inch thick. good luck. foam is a hard ride but flatproof.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

More bunk from someone who obviously hasn't experienced a tire with the new foam. :hammerhead:

10. Harley-D

Any specifics? Info or place to buy.
    What's this new foam? I would really appreciate some way to get this stuff.

You can PM me if you want with some contact info or whatever. Let me know if you can please, thanks.