tires killing grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sirsweatsalot, Jul 22, 2004.

1. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

a few weeks ago i started to notice burnt wheel tracks in one of my lawns. i thought it was a fungus at first but ruled that out. after the grass started to grow back after some rain. the days i cut that prop. i would unload the trailer and leave the mowers on the asphalt and trim and then mow. it was real hot on the days i was mowing. my buddy a fellow lco told me it was the tires... they were too hot and were killing the grass. i thought he might have a point... what do you guys think?

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if that can happen like you described. Anytime the grass is dry, the tires will leave marks on the lawn. It doesn't do any real damage. As soon as it rains again things should be back to normal.

3. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

It was the grass being dry...not your mower wheels.

If the grass is dry enough, you can walk on it, and a week later, you'll see footprints.

And it depends on the grass if it will grow back or not. If St Augustine gets that dry...it's dead. You'll have to wait for the parts of the yard that ain't dead to spread...or re-sod. Bermuda's and zoysias just go dormant and will green right back up with water.

4. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Ok...the footprint thing might be a tinsy bit of an exagerration. Don't recall actually ever seeing that happen. But, I've heard stories. :)

But, you get the idea.

Mebbe if you weighed 400lbs...

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The tires squishing the grass causes a bit of stress at times. This is just magnified by weather conditions that create more stress is all.

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it look like this (see photo below)?

I would have to agree with the others, dry grass not hot tires.

We've had this happen on two lawns. Both are irrigated so they are used to having moisture and can't take the drought like non-irrigated lawns can. This particular picture is of a temperary lawn we were doing while they were on vacation and they turned the irrigation off. The other one i'm talking about I think had a broken sprinkler head.

dry.jpg

7. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

did u ever run over a drive way or side walk that had weed killer on it? that would do it also good luck

8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

can I ask why you are doing that with a push mower?

9. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

To me it looks like he is mowing the grass maybe??

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Could just be from the intense heat esp if in full sun - also it can be a sign of cinch bugs - they may be stressing the turf out, then w/ the heat of the tires - whamo
    DO a floatation test just to be safe!