1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tires killing turf.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, Aug 12, 2006.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I am noticing on two of my accounts that when I mow the grass is dead the following week where the tires were. I did a search and got some good suggestions like not enough water but one has a irrigation system. Any other ideas would help. Im using a 48" metro.
  2. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

the only thing I would make sure ur not doing is mowing the same pattern week after week, if ur mowing differently each week I dunno what's up
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of grass is it? My St. Augustine does the same thing. I just bought the house so I haven't started a lawn program yet. My lawn has a lot of thatch in it and needs fert bad.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get the customer to sign up on a contract.

Tell them that you need to be paid NOT to cut the grass.

If the grass is so dry that you're leaving tire tracks, then it probably shouldn't be mowed.

Are you mowing it early in the day, or right after it's been rained on??

When you mow, the blades of grass are folded over. Then the sun bakes those blades of grass, which causes the blades to dry out quicker.

The grass isn't dead, it's just gone dormant faster than the rest of the lawn.
  5. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Generally you see that when the lawn was mowed when the lawn was in heat stress. The wieght of the mower will bruise the stressed blades. Just because a lawn is irrigated doesnt mean its not in stress on a 100+ degree day. I have seen lawns so bad that brown footprints are left when someone has walked across it on a hot afternoon. It's much like when a green lawn is under a hard frost and traffic walks across it. The blades are probably just bruised and will grow out of it. Check the lawn for signs of stress before mowing on a hot day.
  6. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help.
  7. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

These stripes result from mowing when the plant is entering the early stages of drought stress. The wheels,mower housing, blade, and/or feet apparently destroy the integrity of the leaves and thus even when the area is watered, the leaves will not green-up. The plant will regrow from the crown given four weeks or more with regular irrigation or rainfall and the stripes should disappear.