1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tires leave dead tracks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, May 27, 2005.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I went to look at a job and there is a patch about 3' by 3' that is dead and who ever was doing the grass before their mower left tracks from the 3' by 3' spot that made it look like a tic tack toe grid. There was dead tracks about 3 or 4 feet from the edge of the dead spot. Anybody know what it could be? The grass type is a mix of everything.
  2. lovdasnow

lovdasnow LawnSite Member

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Someone spilled somrthing....everytime they rolled through it, it sprad it on the wheels. My guess would be the perverbial "fueling up" while parked on the lawn....always smart move.
  4. hustlerdealer

hustlerdealer LawnSite Member

i had an issue once before where one of my customers had a fungus on there lawn. without knowing we spread it to several yards. the fungus was growing in neat little rows, right in our tracks a week later. it was time to call tru-green :realmad:
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

never ever call tru-green unless you are calling them a bad name.

someone anyone else will do a better job.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

How dry is it there? If it is dry and the lawn is stressed you can kill the grass by rolling over it.
  7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: exactly, if its dry this will add to the strees of the lawn, it will go away with enough water, it was so dry here once that when we spread our insecticide the spreader actually stressed the lawn. tony
  8. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx for the help guys! After reading the posts Im sure it was from the dry spell we had out here recently. Wow, I actually learned something on this site!
  9. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

If it has been very dry has it been hot also? In my area if it is hot and in a newer subdivision what happens is sometimes when the contractors "make the yard" they have a lot of rock just under the surface of the turf and what can happen is if you run a w/b over these areas when it is hot out the roots will die out because the rocks have heated up the soil and dried out the soil so you may be leaving tracks that way. Just a thought.