Tires on equipment blowing from heat?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CL&T, Jul 17, 2012.

1. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

It's been hot here but nothing past 100. Friend of mine works for a cemetery cutting grass and yesterday he says there were several instances of tires blowing out, happened to him on the machine he was using while cutting. I said there must be something wrong, can't be just the heat. Anybody hear of this?
  2. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

From what I hear that is normal if your on Goodyear Marathon tires. These mower tires? Kept at a low pressure like 10-14 psi? Likely, dry rot then.
  3. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Have to ask him. I'll put my money on dry rot. They won't spend a dime on anything unless they have to.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say they're over-inflated and that's the root of the problem.

I haven't seen or heard anyone around here having issues, and we had 5 days at or near 100*.

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

We got over 100 degrees for about 50 days last summer. Heading for the same this year. Never had any problems with my tires.
  6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I wish we had only 50 days like that. We almost doubled you and hit 90 days here in Austin at over 100F. I never want to see a year like 2011 again.

Older weak tires are going to lose some structural integrity when they get super hot and that may be part of the issue.

I once drove home from getting a new tire installed on my truck at Discount Tire and got a surprise. I went in my house and just a few moments later I heard boom followed by a whoosh of escaping air. Went back out and a golf ball sized hole was in my tires sidewall. My new tire lasted for all of one hour. It had a defect in the sidewall and just blew up.
  7. nolatoolguy

nolatoolguy LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Nope weve had several hot days and no problems at all. Keep your qauilty equitment maintained well an that shouldnt be a problem.
  8. DavidsonLandscaping

DavidsonLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

dont cut so close to the stones, those bases are sharp!!