Tires or Tracks

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Total Landscape Solutions, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

I have read almost all the posts in the Heavy EQ. forum (and posted some) regarding the tires/tracks debate.

Just wanted to know from fellow hardscapers which one they prefer. I have used both working for other companies where we did landscape and hardscape work. But I'm wondering for those who focus on harscapes if you had to have one machine would it be tires or tracks?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

My opinion is tracks are the only way to fly. I would never buy a tire machine unless it was strictly for snow work....but thats a little outside the realm of your question. And a little bit more on tracks, we have a t300 and a t190, we looked pretty hard at the CAT track machines until we saw 2 things that were kinda scary, one thing is that suspension system, it kind of eliminates digging and grading with any kind of precision since it dips the machine and digs you in more than you might want it to. Also they make you sign a list of things the machine "isn't designed for" and looking at that list about all they want you to do with it is move dirt. Go bobcat, and stick with a dedicated track machine, those over the tires tracks are not the same thing, better than nothing but not the same as real tracks............

3. McLandscapingInc

McLandscapingInc LawnSite Member

Tracks. We also use the Bobcat T190s and have no complaints.

4. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Down here in the South. Tires are worthless unless you are working strictly on asphalt. Tires don't care too much for Sand and Clay which are our two dominant soils. Tracks are more expensive, but will keep you working on days when you have to park the tire machine.

5. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I also vote traCKS. My machine of choice is the tacheuchi

6. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'm thinking about getting a Komatsu tracked machine next summer, but they are pricier than the competitors.

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We do alot of snow removal, so tracks won't work for us, but if that wasn't the case I would definately have a tracked machine. Don't get me wrong, I love our 252B, but it does have it's limitations in rainy weather.

Chris

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have a t200 here on the beach it is all sugar sand. A wheeled unit is worthless.

9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Tracks hands down.....Brand new CAT we had would strip the insides of the tracks out......found out is was an issue for a few guys. Bye Cat Hello Bobcat

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the same boat as Chris. We use our 262 and 773 for snow also. I have loegering tracks we use in wet conditions, but they do tear the crap out of a lawn. I priced a 287 when in the market but shyed away from it.

For you tracked guys, what kind of hours are you getting out of tracks/under carriages?