tires passing inspection

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcwlandscaping, May 19, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

What is the minimum amount of tread you need on your tires to pass inspection?

2. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

I think it's 5/32nd of an inch.
    Place a penny in the thread(Lincoln headfirst)...if the depth goes past his hair, the tire is OK.

Edit to add: I lived in Nashua for 8yrs.

3. mcwlandscaping

Thanks, that's pretty neat....what part did you live in?

Ive heard about that penny trick but didn't know if it was true. I have a feeling mine won't pass inspection next month :( oh well, wanted new one anyway!

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I really dont think they check the tires.. Mine went in and their pretty worn down and passed They may differ from state to state.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

in my area you can run race slicks. pretty much anything goes down in florida.

6. YukonG

YukonG LawnSite Member

Most tires have wear indicators built into the tread. When your tread is worn to a certain point, you will see the small bars connecting each row of tread. You have to look into the deepest grooves of the tread; and you will see small humps. These are the wear indicators.

7. mcwlandscaping

Needed new ones anyway so i got them before the inspection......yea FL. no inspection

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

man south florida lawns must be your new mechanic mike hes commented on every truck issue you have

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan LawnSite Member

In NH the inspection requirement is only 2/32nds of an inch in a major tread groove in center of tread. Which is almost nothing. I doubt that any station would actually pass a tire with as little tread as what the law allows, they'd just tell you the tire is bald and you fail the inspection. But, technically you can pass with only 2/32nds in a center groove, additionally you can't have any cuts over 1 inch, bald spots, sidewall repairs or dry rot. I think generally by the time you get down to 2/32nds in the middle you've probably worn off enough outer tread to be considered a bald spot and fail anyway.

10. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The federal regs state 2/32 on TWO major grooves. If you only have (less than) 2/32 on one major groove then it is a violation.