Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerbrad, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Toward the end of last season I noticed that my rear tires on my ztr were doing some damage to some yards while turning, slowing, and going around obsticals. I mentioned this to my now "ex-dealer" who looked at them and then told me that they still had about a year to go. There has to be 20% or less tred left (still some but not much). At the beginning of the year the there was no damage to the turf by the mower. Given that the mower does do some damage to some yards should I get new tires despite what my old dealer says?
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

If you decide on new tires, maybe try a different tread pattern..
    But if it were me, I wouldn't waste money on tires unless it was needed !!!
  3. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

If the tires were leaving marks in my customers yards A- my customers would be calling and complaining and B- I would be changing something. I didn't look to see where you were from but in Indiana last year due to the drought the zero turns were tearing a lot more grass than normal sometimes it has nothing to due with tires or the mower its self.
  4. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

How are you driving and describe the damage! Are you pulling tight turns around obstacles?
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

All of the lawns I do are irrigated so they were all watered regularly. The most noticable marks were left after mowing around trees and flower beds in the yards, it would literally dig up the grass in some areas. I already make sure to go slow around obsticles and take it slow when turning, in fact I usually will do a 3pt turn to turn around. I thought that it could have been me, so I tried going slower around everything but it just made it worse. Then I made sure that both rear tires were moving while going around obsticles as to avoid having one tire that wouldn't be moving and ripping up the lawn. I tried everything that I could think of to change my driving habits but none of them helped improve the marks. After a while you can really notice these marks and it just makes the grass very very thin and a lot of dirt in the area.
  6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe try the 3 point turn...?
    Thats the first thing, I learned while driving ztr's
  7. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe if the tread is really low they are sliding or spinning and not getting good traction. I have never run into that problem though, even with really worn tires.
  8. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I had same problem with drought, I bolted a 75 pound plate to the rear frame and it made it better but didn't eliminate it until I got tires.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well you lost me... Tires that are new are usually harder on the turf that tires that are worn down. I always hate new tires because of the turf damage. Sure, almost bald tires lack traction, but it's nice not having to worry about tearing things up! I don't understand how it could work the opposite way.

I have Kendas on my Grasshopper, and I find that they rip up turf really bad. I don't know if it's the width of them or just the tread design. I've always had pretty good luck with Carlisle Turf Masters, but there really isn't a huge difference in the tread between the Kendas and the Turf Masters... Don't preach 3 point turns and crap either, because like the original poster, the Kendas on the grasshopper will tear the crap out of weak turf even when making a long arching curve.