Tis the season for brush hogging...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gcbailey, Jun 10, 2013.

1. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Got a call on Friday from a HOA that I have a few clients in. They have a vacant lot (1.5 acre) that is owned by a lawyer who lives out of state. Apparently the lawyer never pays his dues, says he doesn't have to since he doesn't live there so it's a pretty nasty situation between him and the HOA...

They called and said they would pay $250 for a once a month cutting. It hadn't been cut this year. I ended up taking a guy out and did it on Saturday, not bad money for 2 hours of work. I'm 6'3" and grass was up to my chest, to give you an idea of what we were cutting. The only trimming involved was around a light post and utility pedestal.

We agreed to keep the price at $250 but split it into a bi-weekly cut that way we can use a ZTR or the SCUT and give it a somewhat more finished appearance.

We have about half a dozen "regular" (once a month) brush hog cuts as it is, but this year we're working on a dozen. It's sorda weird, but I'm not complaining...

20130608_095052 (Medium).jpg

20130608_095244 (Medium).jpg

20130608_095252 (Medium).jpg

20130608_103200 (Medium).jpg

20130608_103611 (Medium).jpg

20130608_103613 (Medium).jpg

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Now all you need is a mini baler Ha.....

I like that kind of work as well as, or better than regular mowing. It's fun to watch the machine do its thing, and to see that you are actually doing something.

I know you have a rotary cutter from the pics you posted here and the other thread, but I can't tell what kind it is. Is it a 4' or 42"?

3. gcbailey

from WV

it's a 4' Howse w/o clutch. I've got wheel spacers on the back of the Kubota, so it makes it look a little smaller. If I could have got a bailer, around here square bales are going for $4.50/$5.00 each.... so however many on that 1.5 acre, that would have been a very nice return.

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

What engine HP is your Kubby?

5. gcbailey

from WV

23 HP.... It meets most of our needs, but I've got a 35 HP Farmall 140 if I need anything bigger. I should have brought it, as it has a 5' sickle bar.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

You can move right along with a sickle bar cutter, and they're fun to watch work.

7. gcbailey

from WV

those little sub-compact tractors are extremely versatile. It's nice to be able to brush hog, and then down at the front of the property, make a couple passes with the mid-mount finish mower to give it a little better look, plus with the space that the brush hog takes up on the trailer, that's about the only option.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I have a MMM for my CUT as well. It's a 60". That's what came with it, but I wish it had had the 72" instead. I have a 60" ZTR so the 72" would have been nice to have. I'd like to have a 5' sickle for it at times though.

9. K & K Mowing

K & K Mowing LawnSite Member

Must be an older BX. I have a 04' 1500 that is supposed to take a 42" but never was able to find 42" bushhog. In fact I think Kubota doesn't or didn't recommend anything bigger than 42" on any of it's bx tractors at one time. I think the issue was the weight on the back with a 4' not so much the horse power. Looks like it's cutting good though.

Regards, Kevin:usflag::drinkup:

10. gcbailey

from WV

Nope, it's a 2012 BX2360. You're right about the weight issue. You can't see it, but I've got a front weight bracket and 4, 42lb suitcase weights, but this property was nice and level, didn't even need 4wd for the most part.