Tis the Season to be Primed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Side Up, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Green Side Up

Green Side Up LawnSite Member

Does any one out there do anything cool to make money in the off season. Yeah, I snow plow like everyone else...and make ok money, but I want to hear about something creative and (of course) profitable. I especially want to hear from the &quot;Yeh to da U.P.&quot; - &quot;Goin to Tech to be a Engineer so I can always figure out my Exmark&quot; dude. He should be pretty creative.<br>I read about this guy doing Christmas decorations, how do ya figure that out?

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey don't laugh, X-mas decorations/lights are big money in some places I hear. How bout hooking up with a nursery or tree farm and a gas station or such, to sell x-mas trees, pointsetias, cemetary flower boxes, etc. Who are you talking about in your post? Couldn't figure it out. (I am being serious, not sarcastic as usual!)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

I took some classes and got a job doing income taxes for a financial planning firm. Season is from January 15 to April 15. Slows down towards the end. They let me just work a couple of nights a week once I start lawn care at the end of March. Besides people won't think your stupid anymore just cause you are in the lawncare business when they find out that you can figure out there taxes for them. The christmas idea has a franchise called Christmas Decor, I got the info but wasn't right for me, you have to do most of the installs in November, this doesn't work for me because this is still fall cleanup season for me. I have thought about the christmas tree lot business, I may get a job at one this year to see if this is something I could do, I've heard of people making a lot of money doing this and I've also heard of some people that lost ther asses.

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I know of a landscaper that delivers heating oil in the winter. From what he told me, he gets around $17 per hour and since it is union, he is able to get partial medical coverage for his family year round. I guess this helps if you are in the North.

5. junkerbill

junkerbill LawnSite Member

I do taxes, too. Big rush at first from all those eager to get their earned income credit and then slow until the middle of March when it picks up again. The first two weeks of April are a mad house of 18 hour days until the 15th comes and then it dies. I take in about $12-15,000 for the season, though. When it's over I'm eager to get outside.

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

how about painting,? you could probley sell alot of you miantance customers on it cause people always change the colors of rooms and stuff. Then you would also be able to keep your crew and trucks going though the winter. Plus it dosn't take to much equipment cause it's all cheep like brushes and rollers and such. <p>Another idea might be to fix residential equipment for people around town like snowblowers and tune ups for peoples mowers.Hey it might also be a good way to solicite landscape bisnes.

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I trade stocks online, take some courses and heal from the Fall cleanups. Chase Hurricanes in November. Play some volleyball, have a beer or two, and wait for snow. That is a summary of four months...man, I cant wait.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Is anyone involved with Amway or any get rich quick schemes like on TV? I almost went with Amway once,sounded good at first, but m intrest fizzled away. Just wondering?<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

9. Prime Seasons

Prime Seasons LawnSite Member

Ok, here I am, eh?<p>How about renting snowmobiles in the northern region... I don't know-- I've been thinking about it lately too, Keith. Did you get my page this morning?<p>

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Seems to be alot of money in rioting in big cities during or after big events. I think I am going to check into that as a money maker. least i get free food in jail and a place to sleep