1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Title Tags

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by WPLC, Mar 26, 2014.

1. WPLC

WPLC LawnSite Member
    from USA

Should I have title tags on my "About", "Gallery, "Contact" pages? Right now I have the same title tag on my home page and About Page, and both pages are ranking decently high at the moment. Should I make them unique?
  2. robert@rittenhouse

robert@rittenhouse LawnSite Member

Yes, give every page a unique title tag. Google frowns on duplicate content including dupe title tags. It will show up in Google Webmaster tools as a problem.
  3. curtislawncare

curtislawncare LawnSite Member

Yes, the title tag is helpful to users when reading your pages. Make the title short and to the point. In stead of just "about us", which doesn't tell the user a whole lot about the page, maybe put "about Joe's Lawn Care Services". Same with all other pages. They should be unique and tell the user what the page is about.
  4. webeminence

webeminence LawnSite Member

You definitely want them to be unique. I wouldn't worry about it affecting your rankings in the short term. They may bounce around a bit after you change them, but it's best to have the unique and descriptive over the long term.

Home page and About page are probably 2 of the most important pages for descriptive titles. I would recommend something like this.

Home page: Keyword + Company name
    Champaign Illinois Lawn Care Service - Fighting Illini Lawn Care

About Page: Company name + "About Us"
    Fighting Illini Lawn Care - About Us

There's no perfect formula. I prefer to use a keyword as the first few words in the home page title because I'm not worried about ranking for the company name and don't need to put that first.

The About page is a good place to put the company name first in the title.