TJ Justice-Just Mowing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by newguy123, Oct 22, 2012.

1. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know there was a huge thread on this guy a while back...and that DFW and a few others changed their business style similar to this guy's. Anyways I was wondering if TJ Justice is still on LawnSite? What are your thoughts? Thanks and sorry about bringing up an old thread it just really intrigued me.

Thanks everyone...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. newguy123

Anybody out there???

3. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Do you have a link to this post, i would like to read it.

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

5. newguy123

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

It looks like 6 years since he's posted (he soured on the site. Just read his last few posts and you'll get the gist) and the topic of his business model and strategy used to come up quite often. Beyond what you can read in the archives, or glean from the web, what is it you're looking to understand? It really just boils down to economies of scale.

7. newguy123

What do you mean by economies of scale? large volume? I'm interested in how he got so many customers so fast...

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

He mows $30 lawns for $20 using imported labor. It isn't hard to figure out the secret to his growth.

9. newguy123

Yeah I read that...but that was in 2004. Plus I read that the original $20 flier was only a one time advertising thing. But even so, with his prices, it seems like he has grown his business incredibly quick.

Fast forward to 2012, would he be able to build the business that fast at $35 mows?

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm curious as well. In his posts he said he relies on volume to keep cash flow out of the red. What happens when you lose customers on a route and can't make a five day week? Running too lean of a business IMO, I'm wondering if he's still around?