Tj

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone heard what type of season JustMowit had? TJ. if you guys have any info to pass alone, it would be appreciated...its always good to hear from you guys....

2. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

Yes, I'd like to know too. This company Justmowing has the nearest thing to a fan club I've ever heard of in this business. How bizarre is that? They do have a very successful business model, one that we'd all like to emulate, but to be honest it wouldn't work everywhere - for a start you need a source of cheap seasonal labour. I do enjoy reading the posts on them and look forward to their reply to Toy2's post.

3. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We had a successful season, added 3 trucks to the fleet, a little disappointed that the grass did not start growing as fast in the spring as some years, & the drought conditions shut down the ones that don't irrigate by Sept/Oct. 1, but 2005 sales were 25% better than 04. Put a few more policies in place that make our life simpler. Have plans to start the Austin Texas market in the spring.

Answering the LCO from the UK... no, our concept will not work everywhere. The basic ingredients are newer neighborhoods mid dollar range, small lots, few trees & shrubs, younger customers, the ability to look up the lot size without driving there, & a 36 week season, even though some only go 28.

The final & most important item is help. One can not run 42 guys, never being short a man or 2 in the morning, never anyone late more than 15 min., never a problem that will keep us from finishing the days routes. There is a huge grapevine within our workers, whereby if someone is sick, we demand that they arrange for another to show up, & in return, we treat them with respect, & give them the opportunity to make big money if they produce. So, We do not have cheap help, it is good help, well managed by TJ.
    MJ

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

MJ......Thanks for letting us all know how things went this year.....Austin should be a good market for you guys....i am really considering using the same set up you guys have in Dallas here///small truck///no trailers...all 21''s....this is my plan for 06.....not sure if it will work...I still run into the "not what you know, who you know" BS....anyway thanks again for the info....its always appreciated....

5. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

This is surely one statement that applies to all of us who have employees, we are all familiar with that problem. Many times I have been left thinking on my feet, trying to reschedule everything in my head, just because an employee (or two) hasn't showed up. Sorry if I had gained the impression that Mexican labour was plentiful and cheap. Justmowit, thank you for your reply to Toy2 and myself, your posts are always interesting and informative...and yes, lots of LCOs like me must be envious of your impressive operation. It would be difficult to make it work here in Britain, too many parts of the equation are missing.