TLC for a Z

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ted putnam, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a Z-spray I have had for almost exactly a year and a half now. As of tonight it has 460.2 hrs on it. I am about to begin my last round with it. It is my Lime application and over the next 6 weeks I will spread 20+ tons with it. By the time I'm done it will have a little over 500 hrs on it. Some of you have mentioned giving yours an acid bath to remove unwanted rust(Let's face it, Stainless ain't what it used to be and that's not LT Rich's fault). I was wondering if this was muriatic acid that you used and at what mix ratio you used. Is it like cleaning brick at a 1 to 5 ratio? Also, how long do you let it soak before rinsing thoroughly? I'd like to do this before sandblasting and painting the casters and a couple of other small painted parts after I finish up for the year. This machine has been the best investment I've ever made in my business and I'd like to give back by completely going through it and making her look like new for Spring 2011. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Note: I don't need to know about machines that do 45 acres in a 6 hr day while throwing frisbees. I'm quite happy with the machine I presently operate. Thanks

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Hey Ted!

I remember talking to you before you got your machine. I think I has just gotten my first one then and we had some talks about the Z's vs everything else.

The stainless should not be rusting. I would say it is just surface corrosion.

I put down some Fe earlier this summer and my machine looked like it was rusting like crazy.

We just use an air tool with a solid buffer attachment and it cleans the stainless up like a dream

The rims and casters are about the only think that should be rusting I think other then a few little things here and there.

Muratic acid does a great job on Aluminum but I have never used it on stainless.

I hear ya on taking care of the machine. You have to take care of your money maker!

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks Rod. I wash and clean the machine at least 2 times a week(5 day work week). It does appear to just be surface rust and mainly on the front facing portion of the boom but there is definitely some "eeking" out around bolt heads and stuff. Now this is very minor and the problem is only cosmetic I assure you but I'd sure like to make this thing look like "new money". Thanks again Rodney. Hope things are going well!

4. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

Best stuff I've ever used on stainless is called Bar Keeper's Friend. You can get it at WalMart, Target or grocery stores. They have a powder like the old Ajax cans or a liquid kind. I clean SS grills, heaters, sinks and my spreader frames. Use some gloves though, it will make your hands peel like crazy.

5. BonesMalone

BonesMalone LawnSite Member

I used Fluid film last time I cleaned machine and it made it shine

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have some fluid film to use, but i am afraid it will make stuff stick to it badly. does it?

7. JD2320

JD2320 LawnSite Member

Try washing the machine down with a solution of white vinegar, lemon juice, and throw in a box of baking soda.

Scrub the corrosion areas with steel wool first, scrub with the solution then apply Ketchup to those areas and let that sit 24 hours.

I'm not kidding.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

It does!

I like using WD40 and that is about it. It even makes stuff stick a little.

Fluid Film works great...just attracts fert dust!

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

then there is no reason to put it on my zsprays then huh, just ctitical parts like the cables

10. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

barkeepers friend and a 3m scrub pad will make it shine like new.