1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

TN seed selection

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hotrodsnapper, Sep 7, 2006.

1. hotrodsnapper

hotrodsnapper LawnSite Member

It's finally time to try and grow something in the clay pit, aka my yard. I'm looking at renting a towbehind aerator (if my snapper won't pull it, my nissan will, that'l give the neighbors something to talk about!), then scalping, power-raking, then overseed and fert. Maybe even put some compost down if I can find some cheap.

My question is this: What is the best seed to plant in my area? I would like to try the scott's thermal bluegrass, they claim it grows well as far south as GA. But that stuff is pretty expensive, and I haven't seen it in local stores. The other option is to use the rye/fescue stuff that everybody sells, what's the best brand or seed combination? Does anybody in middle TN have any clay soil experience they might share?

Thanks in advance

2. hotrodsnapper

hotrodsnapper LawnSite Member

Any suggestions?

3. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

I live in Memphis.What works best here in full sun to part shade is either bermuda or zoiza(hope I spelled it correct).If you are planting under trees or mostly shade I use fescue.Hope this helps.