to aerate or not to.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lindylawn, May 20, 2004.

1. lindylawn

lindylawn LawnSite Member

Last fall one of my customers who happens to live in the an area with alot of mature pine trees, and sandy soil, not to mention a vastly shaded area inquired about how I could thicken her lawn. I asked my friendly Lesco rep what to do, and he came to the lawn and promptly recommended a core aeration, along with some overseeding. I sold the woman on this,(she didn't check with her crabby a** husand). Long story short, he was irate this spring. Any thoughts on right or wrong. I honestly thought I was doing the right thing. In fact I probably did not charge nearly enough for my services throughout the year, and I pride myself and my business on going the extra mile. Lets hear it.

I thought the lawn was pretty good given the conditions.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

What was he Irate about?

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

With that many pines and that amount of shade (I'm assuming)
    It will be tough no matter what you do to get a nice thick lawn.

4. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Who hired you to service the lawn, husband or wife? Who ever hires me is who I deal with. I log that person into the customer info and that is the only person I deal with.

If you want to thicken up a lawn I would slice seed. Aerator spikes or plus are too far apart for seeding ....Chuck

5. lindylawn

basically, I think he was irate about somethin else, and low and behold along comes me. He said he slipped on some of the cores that had turned to mud.

6. lindylawn

the wife was who I originally dealt with and who gave me the ok to aerate. His claim was that because he is in a sandy soil he should not need an aeration

7. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell the guy you now understand that he is in charge and that you will inform his wife next time she asks you to do something that she has to check with her husband first as per his orders.

That should get some fun going there.

8. lindylawn

im pretty sure that seed has already been sewn, she is a friend of my mother-in-law, and they like to talk.....
    I think Im going to send a refund check made payable to her

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

did you topdress it also?

10. lindylawn

no i didnt top dress it. But what Im really getting at here is was I in the wrong for aerating on a sandy soil base, is that just wasting money for the customer, or, as it is my understanding from Lesco, aerating is a healthy practice no matter what the soil conditions are