To all that s/d in small yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mottster, Apr 1, 2004.

1. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

To all of you that side discharge in smaller yards...how do you combat with getting grass clippings in flower beds and on the sides of the houses so bad? WE use our 61" husq on some residentials and we've had complaints about the grass clippings in the flowerbeds.

Looking at a 36" wb for my personal use but wondering how to combat with that issue without having to haul around a bagger.

Mulch kits i canhandle as long as the cuts perfect and there's no clumping....the yards i'll be mowing are thick zoysia so its a lot harder to mulch on them.

thanks for any suggestions.

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd certainly try mulching before bagging. BTW, I run mulch kits on my 32" WB and 60" ZTR. Mostly St. Augustine and Bermuda lawns. Not familiar with Zoysia.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You have been blowing grass in the beds and on fences and the homes, and now you are concerned about a little clippings on the lawn from a mulcher ? I dont understand.

4. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

run 2 swipes blowing away from house/flower beds. . . I can usually avoid blow out on specific items without taking too much extra time. 2-3 more minutes is worth a good customer.

5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Why the heck is everybody so scared of hanging the bagger on the WB on small lawns? The time you save in not having to blow clippings out of where they don't belong compensates for the time getting rid of the clippings. And the job is a lot neater. Are you surprised that your customers complain?

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a DC so I just close the OCDC. I don't get clippings anywhere I don't want them.

7. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

I have nothing against bagging...thats all i do with my John deere jx75. Its just as i want to grow...i have no where to put the grass except for in the back of my truck where it sits and stinks up...surely to rust out my bed. Its hard to find places to put your grass if you don't live in the country, know anyone who does, or have a big dumpster. I surely don't want 20 bags of grass sitting outside of my own house everyweek waiting for the trash man.

specialtylc, When i was referring to using the Ztr at work..thats for the LCO i work for. I'm wanting the w/b for my own personal yards...not the companies.

The reason i'm concerned about grass on top of the lawns is these people i mow have become accustomed to me bagging week after week leaving their lawns spotless. A lot of them have long haired dogs so they don't want the dogs tracking clippings in.

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If you are not concerned about striping the lawn, direct your clippings inward on the lawn until you get far enough away from the house to do otherwise.

9. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

THANK YOU [​IMG]

mottster, I don't under stand in 1 part of your last post you say bagging is all you do. In the next part you say you don't have any place to put clippings...um which is it?

10. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Right now i leave the bags at the end of their driveways for the trashman to pick up the next day. I'd like to move away from that.