To all who live in Florida.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Sep 27, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

This might get moved but I thought it would get the most traffic on this board.

I am thinking about moving to Florida (in Minnesota now and hate the cold) and am hoping you can give me the "Good, Bad and Ugly" of living in Florida.

Thank you for all opinions.

Joel B.

2. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

It really sucks here. The toursim industry just wants to make you believe it is nice, so they talk it up.

You don't wanna move here, trust me :(

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Its kind of backwards here, and they like it that way. The state motto is "we dont care how you did it up north". But the weather is great, and no shortage of customers here, although most are cheap, and will try to rip you off. The employee pool is great too, lots of crackheads and alcoholics. I will never leave though. Climate is great, and i feel superior.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm new here myself and absolutely love the weather. Right now the love bugs are making a mess of things but they'll be gone in a week or two.

If you don't mind heat and humidity this is the place to be, but don't count on getting rich cutting grass. To much competition here to support high revenue for lawn cutters. At least that's what I'm finding in my area. Good luck.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Think I'll stay where I am thank you...NJ isn't the best place in the world to live, but I don't think it's the worst...at least when it comes to how much we can charge.

6. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Bring your own water! We dont have enough for you.

7. MT Lawn Care

MT Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Came down last oct. from N.Y. (Rochester),don't think i will ever leave. love it here

8. SeaJay

SeaJay LawnSite Member

Compared to the new england area...accounts do not pay nearly as much. (at least in my area: Daytona Beach)

9. tyuslawncare

tyuslawncare LawnSite Member

I can't really compare Florida to anywhere else since I've never lived anywhere else. But Lawnman_Scott's superior attitude is the main reason we don't care how you did it up north. If you come down here expecting to find crackheads and alcoholics, that's what you'll find. If you come expecting to find friendly, intelligent people, that's what you'll find. It all depends on your attitude.

There is a lot of competition but if you do a good job and price reasonably, not cheap, just reasonable, you'll build your business. The weather's great 9 months out of the year but the summers are brutal and every bug in the world lives down here.

No offense intended Lawnman_Scott but you're not superior just because you came from up north.

10. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

My four brothers and three sisters and myself are all moving down as well. We all cut grass and are crack heads on the side, so it's good to see we'll fit right in.:D