1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To all you new guys...what a difference a year makes!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Just got things cranked up today here in the north country. In fact I think every LCO in the area got out today as they were all over. Anyway had a clean up scheduled this morning, it was my very first job last year, first clean up I'd ever done. Since it was the first job of my young LCO career, I figured it would only be fitting to make it my first for this season. Last year it took me 4 hours and it looked great when I got done. This year...it took me 2 hours and looked even better.

It's pretty amazing how much of a difference better, faster, more efficient equipment will make...and of course having a clue as to what to do helped too. :)

So for all you newbies out there...there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I HATED clean ups last year...now I say bring em' on!

2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear your finally able to mow. And glad your starting to get the hang of that new equip. It really does make a world of a difference to have the right equip for the job. Congrats and I wish you more success in the future.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Buck -

Congrats on getting going. I've been working the last 2 weekends down here, started full bore today.

Just think how efficient you'll be when you've been in the business 17 years. :)

Good luck with this year.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You are right on with that. As I start my 10th year I remember back to the first year and you hit it right on the head. I hated clean ups in the first year. It was definately working harder instead of smarter. Jobs that took me 5 hours are done in 1.5. No more hand rakes, homeowner bag vacs and garbage cans for me. Then again there was no Lawnsite back then and I pretty much was on my own.
    So you are on the right track and it gets better when the checks start coming in. We are winding down our clean up season here in Green Bay. It has been a summerlike stretch since April 2. It was 78 degrees yesterday. I figure I will be all caught up by early next week and then mow season begins in early May. Have a great season.