To All you skidsteer guys

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by muddstopper, Jun 20, 2007.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have been offered a 92 743 bobcat for $3500. The machine has aux hyd and a gp bucket. Kubota diesel. I havent looked at the machine yet , but the guy says the machine is tight, no leaks, and runs fine. Paint is so so and the seat it cracked, tires at 50%. Now I have rented and ran 743's before so even tho it is small it will do what I want it to. I realize at this price, the machine isnt perfect, but what do i need to look out for before I lay out the cash. The hydraulic valves have been recently rebuilt, what else needs to be double checked. Also how much flow and PSI is this machine supposed to have in the hydraulics. I can flow test the pumps, but I dont know what is standard for this machine. I looked at bobcats website but didnt find this information.

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

A good thing to check first is the hourmeter. Seriously, check if it looks new ( if this applies, I know some of the new ones are integral to the dash). Other common sense items like welds and wheel problems, I'm sure you've already looked at. Check the chaincase inspection window to see what the chains look like, including how they are adjusted. I like to look at the overall maintenance/level of service and cleanliness of the piece in question, and if you can get a look at his other equipment, see if he takes good care in general of his stuff. (Does he keep it clean, or clean it to sell it?) Also, are the hours since the last filter change written on the filters? If things don't feel right, Don't buy! Good luck:waving: :waving:

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would say that at that price you should buy it in almost any condition. I would not delay.

4. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like a decent deal for the year, I have been looking for a 743 for a while, but down here I see a lot of overpriced junk. Bobcats are tough, so if you try it out and like it, buying may be a good idea. Like I said, I wish I could find a decent deal down here.

5. muddstopper

Thanks guys, I havent seen the machine yet but will be going to look at it Friday. The guy that owns the machine just bought it a couple of months ago, so what damage thats been done, most likely was done way before he bought the machine. This guy bought it to run a mower and I think found out the machine wasnt big enough. As for the hours, It probably has tons, meter has been broke. Its an old, cheap machine, I aint expecting much, just need to know which big ticket items I need to look at before i buy it and then find out I should of looked at this or that before I bought the machine.

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto, $3500 doesn't buy much of a skid steer. If it runs and moves, run, don't walk to go buy it.

7. muddstopper

Seems everybody thinks this machine is a bargain as long as it runs and works. I guess I am just being skeptical because of the low price, it might turn out to be a jamup machine or a peice of junk. I guess I will know more tomorrow or maybe tonite if I get home in time. I'll try to get some pics.

8. muddstopper

Well, I got to look at the machine a few minutes ago. Cranked rightup, lift and bucket worked fine, seemed to have plenty of power at the bucket. But!!, for the life of me I cant figure how to make the aux hyd work. The machine operates with two yank sticks and foot controls. Also in the engine compartment there are some lines capped off, I'm guessing has to do with the aux. It looks like something is missing because the metal lines are just hanging in the air. The owner wasnt there and wont be back until tommorrow, and probably doesnt know himself. . Need a little help with this one. Its been a long time since I even set in the seat of a skidsteer. Is there supposed to be something, oil cooler maybe, in the engine compartment setting on the left hand side of the engine that these oil lines would hook to?

9. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 751 , somewhat the same class of machine which has been solid for the last 8 years. Buy it.

10. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

What size are the lines? The aux likes usually come through the lift arms, but sometimes fittings will be on the loader frame. If it runs fine and all the functions work I think it's good to buy. Did you notice any odd pulsations or unusual noises when turning?